30-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Tee View Post
Someone's avin a laugh.
thats wot i thought
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2007, 09:13 PM
I don't know, depends on the stud fee. Stud fees used to be approximately half the price of a pup but that's changed now to the price of a pup, so if you only get 2 pups and one of them is the stud fee you aren't making very much money if any.
They reckon that a dog costs about £10,000 in it's lifetime to rear (and that's just a pet not show or breeding stock) and I doubt very much that any reputable breeder could breed enough puppies from one bitch to recoup that kind of outlay.
Becky
darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-03-2007, 10:19 PM
The price of Cihuahua's is a joke at the moment.. It is a sellers market.. they can charge what they like as there seems to be an endless list of people who want a fashion accessory..
£10,000 to keep a dog for its lifetime... wow that seems like a lot, but probably quite right I will have to add it all up .. lol
I'm sure some breeders get their "moneysworth" one way or another, most would have their own stud so would pay no stud fees, Even if the breeder only registers one litter every 12 mnths doesn't mean they do not breed 6 mnthly..
I have seen Chihuahua X Yorkies that are more expensive than a KC reg Yorkie???? and the same goes for other breeds X'ed with Chis

I wonder what wil happen to all the Chiuahuas bought by people expecting a baby or a toy who then realise they have a dog !!! and a dog with a strong personality to boot!!
give it 2 years and rescues will be flooded with snappy unhappy little dogs

Rachel
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2007, 10:47 PM
Sometimes people can't aquire a dog through rescue, or if wanting a particular breed not all rescues have pups of your chosen breed. Or maybe they want to breed themselves, and recuse dogs come neutered or with a neuter contract. So they look to a breeder. Seriously, how many 8 - 12 week old chi pups are in rescue?

A lot of these kind of 'breeders' are in it purely for money so they get a dog and a bitch and see it as an investment, and pump out as many pups as they can, sell them and start again. So they make indeed a lot of profit, even with a c section, if this happens they can just bump up the price to cover it.

I had a look on that all to infamous puppy site, and lookin at the sheer amount of ads for chi's and crosses of, compared to most other breeds, is exhausting! And not even half of them are KC reg, and still extortionate prices!

However I have to point out if I were a breeder of chi's (well bred, kc reg pups) and I were looking to sell them, I wouldn't let them go for any less than was the going rate, as a lot of people would think OH A CHEAP CHI and I think this would attract many many wrong types of owner. So it's a viscious circle that even good breeders have to be very very careful when breeding such popular little dogs.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2007, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by cc22peatree View Post
surely it doesnt cost £1500 2bring up a pup
lol i dont know! she said it come with baskets & things and food! first injection etc!
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2007, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by cc22peatree View Post
my sis paid £1200 for hers,ive never seen them go for less than £1000,
i think its also to do with colour,short haired seem to be more expensive,especially if there black and tan or white
excuse me but how do breeders justify the £1000 price tag,could someone break down the expenses for me please
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3