Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2013, 03:52 PM

A Good Idea

Hi There we in Wales have set up a Dog Watch,and it gives dog walkers somewhere to report to if there is a problem with other dogs or a problem on the walk.Its a bit like Neighbourhood Watch have sent a link.

http://www.dyfed-powys.police.uk/en/...igion/dogwatch

Gemini54
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2013, 04:00 PM
I'm a little confused by you saying 'we in Wales' have set this up. I've read the link and it is set up by the Police.

It says it is "Neighbourhood Watch but for dog walkers. It encourages dog walkers to report any suspicious, anti-social behaviour or criminal activities to the police".

It is something to encourage dog owners to look out for crime and suspicious goings on when out walking their dogs.

I can't see a mention anywhere in it about reporting problems 'with other dogs'?
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Sounds like a good idea. Good luck.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2013, 04:56 PM
It sounds like a good idea but my take on it is that it is asking dog walkers to act as another set of eyes for any suspicious behaviour and then report it to the police.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
It sounds like a good idea but my take on it is that it is asking dog walkers to act as another set of eyes for any suspicious behaviour and then report it to the police.
Well yes that's how I read it. Sort of extending NW by asking those who 'regularly walk the streets' with their dogs to help out.

Just didn't see any mention anywhere about it being useful for reporting norty dogs.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Hi Agroup of us have got together to get micro-chipping to be legal,but the question was that as it is now set to go ahead,how was it going to work.Most Dog Wardens in councils have been laid off,they are talking about a Community Warden with more responsibility,so someone in the group brought up that DogWatch,could be extended and I felt that would be a good idea not just because of the Microchipping but because as I have learnt on here,there have been situations where dog walkers need to go after various incidents.When neighbourhood Watch was set up people were very negative,but it has worked,there is no reason why Dogwatch cant be set up too,although it may well be specials or community officers,rather than real police officers,They go into schools now regarding personal security,and think going into Schools talking about becoming responsible dog owners is a step in the right direction,the AM who has helped us get the micro-chipping through,has offered to look at Dogwatching in Wales but really cannot do anything regarding the UK,but it is something that people in the dog community could look at and possibly set up a group with local dog walkers in there area.Gemini54
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Well you seem to be talking about setting up something totally separate from the existing 'Dogwatch' but with the same name?
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2013, 07:57 AM
Hi Tang, As you live abroad,I am puzzled that you should be so interested in things happening in the UK,As you take great pleasure in following my posts,do me the favour of reading them properly,I said to extend the Dogwatch Scheme which was set up as a pilot scheme in selective areas to see if there was a need and what would be required of the scheme if it was adopted,it could manifest into something totally differant from what it is now,which is rather low key,from Acorns grow big Oak Trees.Gemini54
Pookin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2013, 08:02 AM
I live in ceredigion and dog watch is nothing to do with reporting 'problem dogs' on walks.
It was set up to try and get a bit more info on rural crime such as theft of metal by scrap pinchers, fly tipping, folk drilling and stealing oil from tanks etc.
it was set up by dyfed Powys police and as far as I'm aware is just in the ceredigion area at the moment.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2013, 08:25 AM
Hi I hadnt heard of it until we went to a meeting re legalising micro-chipping in Wales,we met with the Am and he mentioned about the pilot scheme, and wandered if that could be used as a few vets in the area who had been contacted about micro-chipping were not very enthusiastic about checking pets for a micro-chip,for the micro-chipping to work it has to be actively checked,if the vets do not wish to do that,the animal charities have said that they do this anyway if a dog is picked up.So we are on new ground at the moment,Wales micro-chipping is coming into being earlier than the UK so although it will be law here,we just dont know how as yet to manage it.There is a police service in wales that looks after fish,dolphins and badgers,illegal sports regarding animals.But though everyone thinks micro-chipping is the right path to take,as there is an estimated 450,000 dogs that 58% are microchipped,so we are looking at various ways to get all dogs microchipped so there is a record and if that dog gets lost it will have a micro-chip Gemini54