Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
I love my slow cooker! Throw everything in before a shoot day, walk in to my tea cooked, and my house smelling lovely!

Made a beef stew when I was in Scotland last week, have to say I prefer venison, but it was still yummy!

OH had a go at making a chilli in it a few weeks ago, and he said it was the nicest chilli he had ever had!

I've got this one, http://direct.asda.com/Asda-Slow-Coo...riptionSection
My uncle bought it for us for xmas. I couldn't live without it now!
Does yours give off a weird chemically type smell MP?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Lol Azz NO, that Bonne Cuisine one does NOT smell!!!! Just avoid those oval black ones, you want two actually, like I've got, that small one from Amazon, and then go for the bigger version, which are usually Hinari's or Crockpot and check out that Auto button coz some do, some don't, but then I always just leave mine on high and that works fine, although yours was on for 12 hours so maybe you DO need an auto button!

The small one is enough for a curry for two, a casserole for two (mind you, not the way you eat lol!) and it would be about 2/3rd's of the way up with food and liquid. Two chicken legs would fit in there with some veg and you only need to just cover the meat or half cover it, coz the steam does all the cooking above the liquid anyway. Never fill them too near the top coz the liquid bubbles, sends the lid crazy, and it could spill over between the pot and the casing and then you could have problems! Liver and bacon is also good, lots of onions and bacon on top of the fried off liver, mmm, mmm, mmmmmmmmmmmm love that one in there!
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Does yours give off a weird chemically type smell MP?
Not that I've noticed. And the food has always tasted as it should, or at least how I expect it too!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Ok final question...

I've read now (and experienced) that slow cooking often results in 'bland'/er food. So do you get around this by using stock cubes such as oxo etc?

Unfortunately I can't use such cubes - only all natural ingredients so that would be the end of that for me

If not, how do you get a tasty dish lol
Azz
Administrator
Male 

25-07-2010, 08:11 PM
C'mon H/guys don't chicken out of the last question
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 04:36 AM
Loads and loads of seasoning!

Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Seasoning and herbs then Azz, they're natural and they're what you'd find in a stock cube anyway, some of them. When you get your chicken, why don't you de-bone it, and then chuck the bones in on their own of course when you're not using the cooker, pour on some boiling hot water, let it stay there overnight even on low or auto, and by morning you've made yourself a lovely chicken stock, which you can use all through the week if you keep it in the fridge, you can even freeze it in those plastic pots????!

A lot of the flavour should come from your veg, especially if you throw in some chopped up green peppers, they're very flavouresome, maybe some celery but not too much coz that would overpower everything, and of course, the chicken flavour you already have in your chicken stock you made..... didn't you??!!!!!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-07-2010, 12:30 PM
I though you could buy organic stock cubes or liquid stock.

I have the oval black ceramic dish one and I have never experienced that chemical smell. They make lovely curries, stews etc., I usually do up a load of mince and freeze some then I have enough for a few meals and can divide into lasagne or chilli or shepherds pie.

It doesn't get used in the summer though unless like Helena does I boil a gammon joint.
Beaujolais
New Member!
Female 

26-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
What are the slow cookers like? I quite like the idea of putting everything in one pot and coming back to it a few hours later when it's all done! Especially now I am busy running around.

Anyone have any good recipes? Are the electric ones 'ok'/safe?
I just love my slow cooker - use it a lot in winter but also great for entertaining, lamb shanks in red wine are yummy. Just brown he meat and sit the shanks on veg cut into large chunks, pour over a bottle of red wine and leave for about 6 hours. Loads of good books about for slow cooker recipes. You can also make preserves such as jams and chutnies. Would really recommend having one.
Beaujolais
New Member!
Female 

26-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I'd be jiggered without some kind of stock cube....... I'm a demon for strong tasting food - I don't like food that "whispers" to me- I like it to SHOUT

I have always used stock cubes or the new Knorr stock pot jelly cubes. I am however concerned about the amount of salt - even low salt stocks even to have loads added. Think I am going to have to make my own stock, think the slow cooker will be good for this, will then freeze the stock for later use.
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >