Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post

What a stupid, stupid woman. I have to say.

Wys
x
I know...my son wasn't very impressed I can tell you!
Another classic was someone telling me the best way to stop a puppt mouthing (he said biting of course) was to bite it back...on the ear, which he proceeded to show me. I admit...I was totally speechless at that one. The pup was fantastically well cared for...but ...so wrong...
AlannaJohan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-04-2009, 05:18 PM
It is astonishing not just how many idiots there are out there, but also how many idiots there are out there who insist on sharing their opinion with you, whether you asked for it or not.

My favourite had to be when we were out walking the mals, and somebody stopped us and asked if we were aware it was illegal to keep wolf hybrids without a permit. When I explained in my least patronising tone that actually they were Alaskan malamutes I then got told I was wrong and they were obviously Northern Inuits and he knew this because his mate had one off a "big breeder" and that all Northern Inuits are wolf hybrids. To say I didn't know where to begin is an understatement...
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I know...my son wasn't very impressed I can tell you!
Another classic was someone telling me the best way to stop a puppt mouthing (he said biting of course) was to bite it back...on the ear, which he proceeded to show me. I admit...I was totally speechless at that one. The pup was fantastically well cared for...but ...so wrong...
not so uncommon sadly, i recently had an argument with people on a mums forum I visit as so many people were touting biting your dog back and pinning them into submission as the best way to train them - this was a forum full of mums who all have their kids watching them do this great training?

I just got moaned at for saying it was the wrong thing to do...... how can you actually help these people if they dont want to hear it !!

Incidentally I was told that the only way to train bruno was to tie him up and kick the s*** out of him to get him to behave errrr..... ok then.....

this person then went on to tell me that they did this to a GSD they owned and it was fine after that!!! I felt so so sad for that dog.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2009, 09:20 PM
I spoke to a lady one day that was admiring Skye and she told me she was going to get a Collie herself. I asked if it would be her first Collie, to which she replied...yes, my first dog ever actually I told her a Collie isn't an ideal first dog & not for everyone, but she reliably informed me that they come out of the womb ready trained, AND will know all the commands instinctively from a shepherds whistle nothing i said would change her mind she was absolutely convinced Collies are just born fully trained

Jann
AlannaJohan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Skyesmum View Post
I spoke to a lady one day that was admiring Skye and she told me she was going to get a Collie herself. I asked if it would be her first Collie, to which she replied...yes, my first dog ever actually I told her a Collie isn't an ideal first dog & not for everyone, but she reliably informed me that they come out of the womb ready trained, AND will know all the commands instinctively from a shepherds whistle nothing i said would change her mind she was absolutely convinced Collies are just born fully trained

That one's gonna have me laughing to myself for a while! So up with those natural canine instincts like digging and hunting we can add "fully trained response to whistle". Absolutely classic.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
OH went to the pub last night with his mate who is useless in my eyes with dogs - he picked monty up by his front legs at 12 weeks old and then dropped him from chest height.

Anyhoo, he and his OH have said when they but a house they want to get a dog and they want a husky. Being that neither of them have raised dogs before and only one has had family dogs I said that husky probably wasn't the best place to start unless they did a lot of research.

So last night OH halfs mate tells OH that they plan to get 2 cats and a dog and that he'd been told the following by a "mate" at work after he'd told said mate about our boxer:

1.) Apparently our boxer will end up in rescue because they are impossible to keep and are too much hard work.

2.) And then what he needs to get is a collie x lab which co-incidently this guy "breeds".

Oh yes, collie x lab will be so much easier than a boxer or a husky and obviously a nice ethical breeder there as well.

And as for Monty, well yes he's off to the rescue centre any day now as I just can't cope with having such a well behaved dog, it's just too difficult.

What a knobhead! Glad I wasn't there or I'd have told our friend that his mate seems to know nothing. I bet he probably thinks it's ok to hit a dog to educate it as well.

Anyone else got any good "a friend at work told me...." stories??
TUT TUT....a defo dog for the recue centre...I think NOT OH should tell him YS thinks Monty has more intelligence than you mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[QUOTE=Ramble;1670011]My son (who is 9 and has pretty strong opinions on dog training,don't know where he gets it from....) was told a couple of years ago in SCHOOL by his TEACHER that the best way to teach a dog not to do something was by hitting it on the nose with a rolled up newspaper....................grrrrrrrrrrrrrr[/QUOTE

Sorry this brought back some memories that made me smile, when Bruce was much younger, we took him to my Mother in Lincoln, well she has a neighbour who owns a Golden Retriever, who incidently is too frightened to breath without my Mom's neighbours consent.

Anyway he was talking to bruce....who was about 6 months at the time, and Bruce jumped up, so my Mom's neighbour says ''I'd stop you my Lad....see this and shakes a newspaper at Bruce.............who promptly got hold of it and shook it to death Happy that the newspaper was ''dead'' he walked away
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
At my vets they say the best way to stop a puppy bitting you is to put your fingers down it's throat until it gags

I bite my dog's ears all the time, it's how we bond.

When Star was about 12 weeks old we were over my dad's and my Nanna was there and she was knitting, Star ran over and pawed at the wool rolling about on the floor and I couldn't help but burst out laughing because she thought it was a creature of some kind and my Nanna told me off for thinking it was funny and not training my dog properly, I should have gave her a telling off and she really should know better by now at 3 months of age.

I forgave her though, she is in her 80's.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 08:07 AM
I was watching an animal program yesterday, Zoo vet at large, I think it's called (Based at Flamingo Land).
I normally like the program, but yesterday I turned it off!
The program also shows patients at the vets normal surgery, and a man and his young daughter took their 12 week old puppy for it's injections.
The vet noticed it was mouthing, and play biting, and said you need to get this sorted out now before it's too late.
He then flipped the 12 week old puppy on it's back and held it down
He said another good way is to hold it's mouth closed - which he did until the puppy cried! (It sounded like it was in pain )
Another method was to stick your fingers right at the back of the pups mouth, where there are no teeth.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
I was watching an animal program yesterday, Zoo vet at large, I think it's called (Based at Flamingo Land).
I normally like the program, but yesterday I turned it off!
The program also shows patients at the vets normal surgery, and a man and his young daughter took their 12 week old puppy for it's injections.
The vet noticed it was mouthing, and play biting, and said you need to get this sorted out now before it's too late.
He then flipped the 12 week old puppy on it's back and held it down
He said another good way is to hold it's mouth closed - which he did until the puppy cried! (It sounded like it was in pain )
Another method was to stick your fingers right at the back of the pups mouth, where there are no teeth.
Oh, that's a shame, I always liked Matt Brash. Thought he was a pretty decent vet. Mind you, vet's aren't dog trainers!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 03:04 PM
clearly readers of THIKIPEDIA http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=100141

I have been told the 'biting puppys ears' one before. Maybe THIKIPEDIA needs a new section on dog training.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >