Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 08:48 AM

"A friend at work told me....."

OH went to the pub last night with his mate who is useless in my eyes with dogs - he picked monty up by his front legs at 12 weeks old and then dropped him from chest height.

Anyhoo, he and his OH have said when they but a house they want to get a dog and they want a husky. Being that neither of them have raised dogs before and only one has had family dogs I said that husky probably wasn't the best place to start unless they did a lot of research.

So last night OH halfs mate tells OH that they plan to get 2 cats and a dog and that he'd been told the following by a "mate" at work after he'd told said mate about our boxer:

1.) Apparently our boxer will end up in rescue because they are impossible to keep and are too much hard work.

2.) And then what he needs to get is a collie x lab which co-incidently this guy "breeds".

Oh yes, collie x lab will be so much easier than a boxer or a husky and obviously a nice ethical breeder there as well.

And as for Monty, well yes he's off to the rescue centre any day now as I just can't cope with having such a well behaved dog, it's just too difficult.

What a knobhead! Glad I wasn't there or I'd have told our friend that his mate seems to know nothing. I bet he probably thinks it's ok to hit a dog to educate it as well.

Anyone else got any good "a friend at work told me...." stories??
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 10:40 AM
A guy at work bought a puppy for his kids over Easter (Collie x GSD).

They've never had a dog before, and are finding it really difficult and very time-consuming (well, d'oh!)

I've given loads of advice (being sick in the car, toilet training etc) but they think that if they try it once and it doesn't work, then it's a rubbish suggestion...

I'll give it another couple of months, and then I suspect they'll have rehomed him!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 10:44 AM
My son (who is 9 and has pretty strong opinions on dog training,don't know where he gets it from....) was told a couple of years ago in SCHOOL by his TEACHER that the best way to teach a dog not to do something was by hitting it on the nose with a rolled up newspaper....................grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 11:07 AM
I was told by a very nice lady with an EBT that her breeder told her the only way to train an EBT was " to kick it around like an old fag packet "
Great breeder there eh ? NOT !!
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
My son (who is 9 and has pretty strong opinions on dog training,don't know where he gets it from....) was told a couple of years ago in SCHOOL by his TEACHER that the best way to teach a dog not to do something was by hitting it on the nose with a rolled up newspaper....................grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Thats terrible !
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-04-2009, 11:10 AM
That poor dog, poor thing, I feel sorry for it already
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 11:10 AM
My friend, well someone i know, keeps moaning about her dog weeing on her carpet....she leaves him from 8 am till 6pm....what can i say ?!!

I hate this sort of thing when you hear storys about dogs, you feel so sorry for them, no wonder there are so many dogs in rescue.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 03:41 PM
At my vets they say the best way to stop a puppy bitting you is to put your fingers down it's throat until it gags
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
At my vets they say the best way to stop a puppy bitting you is to put your fingers down it's throat until it gags
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post

What a stupid, stupid woman. I have to say.

Wys
x
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >