Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
You're right about how quiet our dogs are though. Mabs barked in the house for the first time yesterday, I had left the front door unlocked for Jackie to come in and she walked up to the kitchen doorway, Mabs knows her, but she still barked.
Wondering though, if Molly wee'd when she went on the couch, maybe she wanted to go out like Bella did
May have been an alarm going off somewhere and we can't hear the way they can.
Mind you 2 weeks in - their 'normal' behaviour starts surfacing and they check out what they can and can't get away with.
It was a definite submission type pee, she has done it a couple of times now (she had been out for her bed time pee an hour before as well)

Yeah am waiting for "normal" to kick in That should be fun.

Our Utes are quiet aren't they? we have the odd sing along, then we do the one "yip" to say let me in and we shout at the postman and that is it, the rest of the time it's just that face that does all the talking
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Every now and then my dogs have gone mad barking at night which if I'm alone put the fear of god up me thinking there is a prowler out there.

Certainly on one occasion it was due to a fox coming up near the back door as I found fox poo right by the door. Bella may simply have heard a noise outside which she didn't recognise or associated it with being mistreated . It is a difficult one, because she may also very quickly learn that barking will bring you downstairs to her. The fact that she weed in the house makes me think she was really frightened of something. Now that she is feeling stronger and has become attached to you, she could simply be calling you as she doesn't want to be along at night time. I leave a radio on for my dogs in the kitchen when I'm out but also at night
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Only Cariad barks at the door, and then it is one bark. Lona looks at the door and then looks at me, not sure what Keshi would do as she's never been in when the door goes. Mabs normally looks at the door, I've never heard her bark at anyone before yesterday
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
Every now and then my dogs have gone mad barking at night which if I'm alone put the fear of god up me thinking there is a prowler out there.

Certainly on one occasion it was due to a fox coming up near the back door as I found fox poo right by the door. Bella may simply have heard a noise outside which she didn't recognise or associated it with being mistreated . It is a difficult one, because she may also very quickly learn that barking will bring you downstairs to her. The fact that she weed in the house makes me think she was really frightened of something. Now that she is feeling stronger and has become attached to you, she could simply be calling you as she doesn't want to be along at night time. I leave a radio on for my dogs in the kitchen when I'm out but also at night
I agree it is all the more difficult because we don't really know her that well, plus as you have said we don't want her to think that barking is going to get her attention.

Tried the radio last night and it seemed to make her worse

It is a relief to know she won't disturb the neighbours, we shall see how she goes tonight
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Yeah it's worse if the neighbours complain because then you get all tensed up when the dog starts and they pick up on that.

I always had problems when my GSDs were pups until they got used to the idea they did not sleep with us. Neighbours just had to put up with it until they stopped. And they did stop, even if it took a week or two of them yelping and barking when we went to bed.

You can explain to any neighbours who might complain that you are trying to train the behaviour out of them or whatever. But I'm glad they aren't complaining.

I had a neighbour who moaned and I said to her well you've got a dog yourself so you must know how it is when they are puppies. She said she just gave up and let it sleep on the kids beds. I said she could let my dog sleep on her kids beds if she liked but it wasn't sleeping on mine!
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2013, 05:21 PM
I think I worry more because our neighbours at our old house where horrendous, I got to the point that if I saw her outside I would not dare go out

They are so good where we are now I don't want to upset that.

Fancy your neighbour not letting your dogs sleep on her bed! How rude
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Imana-Banana View Post
I think I worry more because our neighbours at our old house where horrendous, I got to the point that if I saw her outside I would not dare go out

They are so good where we are now I don't want to upset that.

Fancy your neighbour not letting your dogs sleep on her bed! How rude
Oh it's better than that. I'd not long moved in and didn't really know them. What she actually said was that my dog was 'keeping her baby' awake. So I did feel a bit bad ... until someone told me her baby was FOURTEEN. That's when my sympathy evaporated!
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Must have been related to mine, once came out and screamed at me for waking them up at midday
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Was it that neighbour who got the RSPCA out, or was that your friend who had Imana's sibling. I'll never forget that, it was a horrid thing to do.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Yes it was that neighbour, I wouldn't wish someone like her on my worst enemy....
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >