View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

09-06-2007, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE=AnneUK;1033287]Of course we all make mistakes, but do you not think breeders should do everything in their power to ensure their pups are going to life time homes, not just by doing thorough interviews but also carrying out before an after home checks. Could breeders not help reduce the overwhelming unwanted dog problem by making sure the pups they rehome are neutered.[/QUOTE

As I already said I do not think home checks by breeders are viable because of the distance involved but reputable breeders do try to ensure that the pups are going to life time homes, but the point I was making was that reputable breeders get it wrong sometimes as do reputable rescues and they do home checks, so at the end of the day you can check a home and check a person and still get it wrong.

Breeders could possibly help by making sure the pups they rehome are neutered, but a lot of the times the breeder is not aware that the pup has been rehomed but that is a subject for another thread .
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 07:26 PM
I think it's harsh to say that the majority of dogs that end up in rescue have all come from BYB I really do. A very well bred Weimaraner ended up coming to us through a work friend of my Husbands who was threatening to do her in with his bare hands or either handing her in to a local pound. We took the dog from him to get her handed over to breed rescue it was only then as I know nothing about Weimaraners that the lady at breed rescue sadly said "I'm amazed she's ended up here as she's so well bred" and was from a very reputable breeder they all knew at Weimaraner breed rescue. If it had not been for us taking her, there would have been an extremely well bred Weimaraner just dumped in the local pound!
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Alot of Breeders do everything in their power to ensure life long homes,
Personally I think alot of dogs that go through into rescue,do so through irresponsible backyard breeding..
But we're not talking about the irresponsible we're talking about reputable rescues and reputable breeders

it's not good reputable breeders that add to the unwanted dog problem,as they are prepared to take back a dog at any time during it's lifetime.
But what about the pups that are sold and go onto reproduce, if reputable breeders don't follow up neutering how can they be sure their pups don't have litters adding to the problem.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
but the point I was making was that reputable breeders get it wrong sometimes as do reputable rescues and they do home checks, so at the end of the day you can check a home and check a person and still get it wrong.
So would you say there's no need for rescues to do home checks?
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by Nicci_L View Post
I think it's harsh to say that the majority of dogs that end up in rescue have all come from BYB I really do.
Your absolutely right, being completely honest we get just as many dogs in rescue from so called good breeders as we do from pets shops and back yard breeders.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
The Homechecking thing with breeders has already been tried, I signed up for it but have never been asked to homecheck on behalf of someone else, I would have been more than happy to, still am!
Becky
Good-on-you
shame they've not made use
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
But we're not talking about the irresponsible we're talking about reputable rescues and reputable breeders

But what about the pups that are sold and go onto reproduce, if reputable breeders don't follow up neutering how can they be sure their pups don't have litters adding to the problem.
Well nothing is foolproof is it,we can only try our best,we are only human and sometimes we make mistakes,we mention spaying and castration,if the dog is only brought as a pet but to be honest it is the owners choice,breeders have no way of enforcing it.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Well nothing is foolproof is it,we can only try our best,we are only human and sometimes we make mistakes,we mention spaying and castration,if the dog is only brought as a pet but to be honest it is the owners choice,breeders have no way of enforcing it.
but they could if they adopted their pups out instead of selling them.

Surely the more checks the better. Do you think home checks are unnecessary for rescues as well?
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 09:03 PM
breeders have no way of enforcing it.
unless its in the sale contract [ signed by the purchaser obviously ], in which case depending on how its set out, they have legal recourse to reclaim a dog under Breach of Contract

When fostering some newborn abandoned kittens years ago and having been given the responsibility of homing them as I saw fit by the people who asked me to take them in, I drew up a contract stating, [ among other conditions of adoption ], an age by which time the kittens had to be neutered unless provided with evidence from a vet that any could not have the op for medical reason, and failure to comply gave me the legal right to reclaim from one day over that stated age.
I had it checked over by a solicitor to ensure it was watertight and legally enforceable.
All the adopters were happy to sign as per the conditions and all gave me proof of neuter when the kittens were old enough.
Not sure if they were more fearful of a lawsuit if not handing the mogs over should reclaiming have become necessary than of me, but it had the desired effect

Rescues also have legal recourse for reclaiming if animals too young for neuter at the time of adoption are not done as per adoption agreement same as non-compliance with any other aspect of written adoption contract including not vaccinating [ or titre testing as proof of cover ] for instance, or anything else stated by a rescue as a requirement and signed as a binding agreement by an adopter.
Breeders do have the same recourse if there is a breach of any conditions their buyers sign a legal agreement/contract for :smt001
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Heres one I heard about today. Staff bitch, taken into a very well known national rescue organisation, they home her saying she is spayed even though she was taken in as a stray. She now, 6 months later has a litter of 5 puppies from their other uneutered male staff. Yes she came in season when they had her in their home, yes they told the rescue, the rescue would not help with kenneling whilst the bitch was in season, as they had no "space" but very kindly offered last week to rehome puppies for them!! how kind. They will help towards the cost of spaying, even though on the owners "contract" it clearly states all animals will be neutered before homing. So, who's irresponsible here?
The rescue for NOT making sure the was spayed prior to homing?
The rescue for NOT helping the new owners with kennelling the bitch whilst she was in season?
The new owners for not taking enough care to ensure the bitch was safe, even though they had no idea at all about bitches in season, and effectively bought a spayed one??!!

Whilst I do not believe accidental matings are accidents, they can all be prevented, I blame the rescue in this instance.
Page 4 of 33 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »