Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-06-2017, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Which countries use Giant Schnauzers? I am curious to know in what capacity they would be used (general purpose?) and do you know how many in number? Thanks
Giant Schnauzers have a very interesting history. In WW1 and WW2 they were used as military dogs by both the German and US armies. Since then they've been used as explosive sniffer dogs in Bosnia and Israel, for narcotics detection and search and rescue dogs in various parts of the world..

In the 1990's the Delaware Police Department had (I think) some 13 Giant Schnauzers and there were a few also in the UK Police Force. Nowadays, their role has been taken over by the GSD and the Mal, probably due to the fact that there aren't sufficient numbers of GS's being bred. If I remember rightly there were only 94 registered in the US in 2012 which is nothing compared to the number of GSD's and Mals! You'll mostly find them working as Police Dogs in Germany, Holland and the Central European countries.

I first became interested in Schnauzers some 3.5 years ago when Georgina my Shar-Pei started obedience classes. Our trainer used to bring one of her Giant and Miniature Schnauzer's with her and I have to admit I fell in love with them. When Chloe my Tibbie died, I bought a Mini Schnauzer who's a really smashing little dog and great fun to own!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2017, 09:14 AM
Thanks, really interesting history. I have never seen a working GS but would like to see them in action.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-06-2017, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Thanks, really interesting history. I have never seen a working GS but would like to see them in action.
There are some interesting videos on Youtube of Giant Schnauzers doing Schutzhund that will give you a good idea of how they move and work. The best ones are the German videos.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2017, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
There are some interesting videos on Youtube of Giant Schnauzers doing Schutzhund that will give you a good idea of how they move and work. The best ones are the German videos.
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2017, 03:04 PM
Boxers Boxers Boxers
CooperTheGrey
New Member!
Female 

27-08-2017, 09:14 PM
I have always admired New Zealand Huntaways. Very loyal, hard working and quite sweet dogs.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-08-2017, 10:00 PM
I doubt it! They're used as police dogs in several European countries and a Giant Schnauzer could probably clap a pair of handcuffs on a Collie faster than it could say Jack Robinson!
Not a chance..........0 to 40 mph in two strides...............
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-08-2017, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
Not a chance..........0 to 40 mph in two strides...............
In your dreams! Neither a Border Collie nor a Giant Schnauzer can run at 40 mph. The only two breeds that can are the Saluki 42 mph and the Greyhound at 45 mph.

A Border Collie and a Giant Schnauzer can only manage 30 mph!
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2017, 01:01 PM
Bearded Collies
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-08-2017, 03:22 PM
In your dreams! Neither a Border Collie nor a Giant Schnauzer can run at 40 mph. The only two breeds that can are the Saluki 42 mph and the Greyhound at 45 mph.

A Border Collie and a Giant Schnauzer can only manage 30 mph!
But mine would get there quicker!!
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >