View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-01-2013, 08:02 PM

Advice for a total beginner and the class clown!!

OK...so I have just started puppy classes at our local agility club with Flynn. We have done 3 classes so far.
It is obviously just all the basics at this point such as stay, wait, recall, sen aways etc...
Initially I had been training using treats as rewards. The instructor suggested also trying to use a toy so I got a lovely tuggy toy and tried to build Flynn's enthusiasm for it. He does like it, and will play a bit with me with it, but no matter how I try he is not really that enthusiastic. I've tried various toys with the same result. He is slightly more motivated by squeaky toys, but they may not work in a class situation?
Anyway, today was a disaster!!he just would not seem to focus on me at all. Admittedly the snow on the ground was an added distraction, but he was just so totally focused on trying to play with the other dogs. He had NO interest in his toy and only minimal motivation to work for treats (chopped cooked chicken in little pieces) recalls were hopeless as he would just wander off to play with his best pal Alfie!!

so ...I suppose I have a couple of questions...firstly can anyone talk to me more about the use of treats/toys as rewards/motivators for agility training ? What should I use and how should I use it? Anyone recommend me a toy that I can get Flynn really interested in?? Or do some people use mostly treats?

and secondly but I suppose really related - how can I improve his focus on me at class? He can do all the stuff at home, but in class nothing I can offer is as tempting as playing with his pals!! We do pratice training when out and about - sit, down, watch etc...but is there anything else I can do to increase his focus on me???

TIA - I am feeling a bit of a class failure today LOL
(has to be said though Flynn had a fabulous time and thoroughly enjoyed himself LOL )
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2013, 10:18 AM
I use both toys and treats for agility training, depending on what I'm getting them to do.

I use the 'holey' balls, sometimes with a handle and start getting them excited by them from a very early age. When I start agility training, I keep a special one just for training so it becomes the most exciting toy ever. These are for getting them to go on over the equipment.

I use treats for rewarding them for waiting quietly, dropping the toy, encouraging them down the contacts, etc.
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Was going to say soak the tuggy toy in beef stock nd keep just for training, but if he is not food orientated it may not work. You need to observe what does get Flynn excited and can it be used as a treat.
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Thanks both.
I originally though he was quite food motivated. He responded well to treats when training at home. He would even work quite willingly for pieces of kibble (he doesnt normally have kibble as he is raw fed) (This is very different to our older dog Bella who just does not like food - at all!! BUT she is OBSESSED with her ball and as long as I have her ball with me she will do ANYTHING!) BUT when out and about no treat seems to top the chance to play with another doggie!!
Anyway - I told the trainer that he seemed quite food motivated and she said she was surprised as he was a Border Collie.... Since then I have been trying to get him more motivated by a toy. It would help to use a toy too as I can get through loads of treats when training! (mostly small pieces of cooked meat, liver, homemade tuna flapjack etc...)
Anyway...I'm rambling now..have just been out frolicking in the snow with Flynn!! Have bought some new toys from PAH to try out later including the Holl-ee ball....will report back!
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2013, 05:26 PM
I used to use a rabbit dummy when trying to keep Bailiie's focus at agility - it was great for the weave poles especially as she'd do anything to try to get the dummy; of course she only wanted to make sure it was dead!
Maybe it's worth a try with Flynn - good luck

Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Riley isn't food motivated and gets easily distracted by smells. So I make a fool of myself, put on a silly voice and jump about trying to be the most exciting thing in the field!!!!
It's tiring but you aren't alone!

I find if I get a toy out he gets over excited and just starts, literally, jumping around!
Jesss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2013, 06:05 PM
I have a same problem with wiggins, puppy agility is at the same place as puppy obediance, he will play with a toy but only for a while and if he thinks he has done something good he sits and gives paw (though it was cute to watch him run through a tunnel and screech to a halt to give paw) he loves a ropey claw thing with a ball in from pah so i will take that next time- i only didnt take it last time because he had destroyed the first edition!
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Thanks all.
I did try the jumping around like a loony to get his attention on Saturday - sadly all that happened was I was jumping around like a loony shouting at one end of the puppy enclosure whilst Flynn was at the other end ignoring me and barking like a loony at a collie on the main field - we made a great impression this week...sigh!!
After a bit more experimenting I have made the following observations:
He likes tennis balls a lot when out, especially the squeaky ones - but only when walking not bothered when training, and if Bella is with us he ignores the ball and chases her instead!
Having tried a variety of toys he seems to like soft toy the best. I have ordered him a long floppy skineeez type toy to try.
He is not really bothered about tuggy toys - but will play tuggy with Bella.
He really likes things that squeak.
He definitely likes food and can be quite motivated by high enough value treats.
I am working on spending lots os time doing clicker training this week and getting the basics solid again to improve his focus.
Fingers crossed for next week!!
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by loupoppins View Post
Thanks all.
I did try the jumping around like a loony to get his attention on Saturday - sadly all that happened was I was jumping around like a loony shouting at one end of the puppy enclosure whilst Flynn was at the other end ignoring me and barking like a loony at a collie on the main field - we made a great impression this week...sigh!!
After a bit more experimenting I have made the following observations:
He likes tennis balls a lot when out, especially the squeaky ones - but only when walking not bothered when training, and if Bella is with us he ignores the ball and chases her instead!
Having tried a variety of toys he seems to like soft toy the best. I have ordered him a long floppy skineeez type toy to try.
He is not really bothered about tuggy toys - but will play tuggy with Bella.
He really likes things that squeak.
He definitely likes food and can be quite motivated by high enough value treats.
I am working on spending lots os time doing clicker training this week and getting the basics solid again to improve his focus.
Fingers crossed for next week!!
A long lead so he can't run away!?
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Niccie View Post
A long lead so he can't run away!?
Yes, we use a long lead out and about, and at training he is mostly on lead. We were doing recall though and had to put dog in a stay (fine) then move away a few paces (the puppy enclosure bit is small) and then recall the dog. So...he was really good at the "stay" He didn't budge at all until I called him.Then sadly instead of returning to me he turned round and saw another collie so just stood there barking at it - completely not interested in me!! He didnt exactly run off...he just wouldn't recall IYWIM!! Little so and so!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >