Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 05:11 PM

Kismet detection? (Update @post 13)

The strangest thing just happened.. Out of the blue Kismet just attacked one of Selkie's lumps...

Not Selkie, she pinned her down and bit and gnawed at one of her lumps growling and snarling at it... I pulled her away, she has bitten away a small lump of it!

I have cleaned the area with hibiscrub and have Selkie booked in to the vets tomorrow, for the vet to look at the lump. Selkie is quite shaken and wont go near Kismet...

Kismet keeps sniffing and staring at the lump, but has made no more aggressive moves towards it, but I'm watching her closely... I will keeping them apart overnight tonight just in case.

Has the lump suddenly changed smell? Gone malignant? Or is Kismet just being random?
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Goodness - that sounds so very strange - I hope that Selkie is OK
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Selkie is clearly quite shaken the lump is on her forehead...

I'm not at all happy about the look of the lump now Kismet has cleared a chunk of fur from around it... It has clearly changed size and colour since I last looked at it.

Kismet is back in the room with her again, but is not at all comfortable with Selkie, nor Selkie with her obviously.

I don't know whether to take Kismet to check if there is something wrong with her?

Not happy with either of them.. But vet doesn't have any appointments until tomorrow afternoon.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 05:38 PM
How very strange. You are wise to keep them apart when unsupervised.
The tension is probably due to the fact that they had a fight (albeit one sided and possibly directed towards a lump!!!) could you possibly take them both out for a quiet walk together? It may ease the tension that has built up due to their skirmish as although it looked like she attacked the lump, could it have been just coincidence if the lump is on her forehead?
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Possible I suppose...

... But odd..

Kismet was lying on the sofa at my feet.. Selkie was walking past. Kismet sniffed at Selkie's nose then up her head as Selkie walked by, when her nose came level with Kismet's nose she bit at it, Selkie Yipped and Kismet threw her down, pinned her, then went for the lump again gnawing at it.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 07:00 PM
I would have the lump biopsied. It obviously smells `wrong` to the dog.
A friends dog `diagnosed` her breast cancer in time for it to be treated.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Many pet dogs have been known to detect skin cancer, especially, on their owners. Not heard of any reactions quite this strong without any previous warning, but I am very curious as to what it maybe. As said though, it could have just been something else completely and a little scrap between them. But I would get the lump checked out asap, and maybe have them both looked at for a general check-up just in case something else is going on.
Keep us posted
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 07:16 PM
How very bizzare (sp?). I hope all goes well between the pair of them before you can get to the vet. I suspect Kismet smelled something nasty, even if it's suddenly got infected, but better get it checked out by biopsy. Hopefully the vet will tell you straight away if iit's a real nasty. All the best with Selkie, that must have shaken her up poor old girl.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 07:24 PM
I hope the lump proves to be harmless Magpye.
I certainly believe that some dogs are very aware of something being not quite right on another dog or person. My male flatcoat discovered a lump on the foot of my female flatcoat and he would not leave it alone. It was a very small thing which would have initially gone un-noticed had he not kept on worrying it, cleaning and nibbling at it. It proved to be a malignant melanoma, resulting in a toe amputation. I was so grateful that he had noticed it early enough for something to be done about it.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Sounds very odd! Definately get Selkies lump checked if you can...I hope it is nothing too serious.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >