Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bo's mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2010, 07:34 PM

How to encourage puppy into the car?

Hi,

My 13 week old rescue BC puppy doesn't like to get into the car. She's fine once she's in but I have to pick her up to put her in. I've tried puppy treats, cheese and even chopped up hot dogs but she backs away. I've also tried gettin gmy older dog in first to show her but that makes no difference. All the trips out have been positive for her and she's had a lovely time visiting friends and other (innoculated) dogs as she's not yet had her 2nd lot of jabs.

She's normally a very confident (even headstrong) little girl but I wonder if she's had a bad experience with a car and am at a loss as to how to overcome this problem.

Help?
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 06:46 AM
As she's only 13 weeks (& presumably you've only had her for a few weeks) it seems unllikely that she's had a traumatic experience with a car yet. Can the rescue organisation give you any info on this? Do you know any of her history? I take it that she's never been car sick.

If she's fine once she's in the car & will happily settle & take treats once in the car, maybe it's something to do with the jumping up into the car? Could this cause her any pain? Does she jump up onto furniture etc? Maybe try a ramp or plank & see if she'll walk up it into the car?

Are you expecting her to jump into the boot? If so, does the boot have a lip that she has to jump over? Sometimes that can be a bit scary/weird for a small puppy? If you are trying to get her to jump onto the back seat, again, try a ramp.

I am assuming that your other dog doesn't harass your puppy in any way in or around the car.

Other than that, just keep making sure that all car experiences are enjoyable her & that the car is a nice safe place to be. Perhaps as she grows she'll be more prepared & able to jump in.
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2010, 07:19 AM
Hi,

Is she actually shying away from the car with her tail between her legs, or is she only not jumping in herself? And what kind of car is it? (high or low off the ground?)

If she's not jumping in herself that's actually not a bad thing... she's only 13 weeks and growing, and too much jumping on and off high things are bad for her shoulders, hips en knees... plus: she's probably too small to see what she's jumping onto and therefore simply being careful... smart dog!!!! It will probably sort itself out as she grows and gains confidence... she'll probably start with only putting her paws up so that she can see what's up there, and eventually when she's more confident and bigger she'll jump in herself.... don't forget... the whole world is new for her.... (ps, also be careful with her jumping out... that too is a lot of strain on her growing joints.....)

If she's actually shying away from the car and it's hard for you to get her anywhere near it, try socializing her with the car.... for example: put her on a leash, grab a cup of coffee, and just slowly walk towards or up to the car drinking your coffee, paying no (obvious) attention to her.... if possible, lean against the car... finish your coffee... and then take her back inside... next time... do the same thing, only open the door as well... don't get in, don't try to make her get in.... just stand around, no pressure... then take her inside again... next time... drink your coffee sitting in the front seat etc etc....no pressure on her...... she'll soon learn that the car, though very big, is not a grizzly bear..... I very much doubt this has anything to do with a bad experience before being rescued, and everything to do with her simply being careful... once again: smart dog!!!

Good luck,

Claire
Bo's mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Thanks - I shall work on her, help her and try and build her confidence. I've only had her 6 days so maybe I'm expecting too much from her and as you say, she's only little and has to be careful. I know nothing of her history except that the poor little thing at 13 weeks is now on her 4th home (hjer original home, 2 rescue centres, one in Ireland and now me). My older dog is a sweetie with her.

My car is a BMW convertible so fairly low and I'm trying to get her into the back seat. It's fairly dark in there so that may not be helping either.

I was a little worried that I was making a rod for my own back by carrying her into the car but it sounds like I should be helping her more and that she will make her own way into getting into the car on her own once she's got more confidence. I shall be careful and let her do it at her own pace.

Thanks!
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2010, 07:48 AM
poor little puppy... only 13 weeks and in her 4th home already..... I'm glad you found her... now she can finally settle down, find her roots, start bonding with her new family and find her confidence.... and it's great that your old dog is so sweet to her!!!! And as you said yourself.... just don't expect too much too soon...

enjoy!!!!

Claire
Bo's mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2010, 10:28 PM
On our way to puppy class this morning and Meggie got into the car on her own! She was too knackered after the class bless her.

So, patience was the key (and I didn't have to wait long!)

thanks
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Bo's mum View Post
On our way to puppy class this morning and Meggie got into the car on her own! She was too knackered after the class bless her.

So, patience was the key (and I didn't have to wait long!)

thanks
great!!!!! and good for your back too!!! Tess is 7 months, I have a BMW X5, and there is still no way the lady is getting in without a leg-up
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Bo's mum View Post
Hi,

My 13 week old rescue BC puppy doesn't like to get into the car. She's fine once she's in but I have to pick her up to put her in. I've tried puppy treats, cheese and even chopped up hot dogs but she backs away. I've also tried gettin gmy older dog in first to show her but that makes no difference. All the trips out have been positive for her and she's had a lovely time visiting friends and other (innoculated) dogs as she's not yet had her 2nd lot of jabs.

She's normally a very confident (even headstrong) little girl but I wonder if she's had a bad experience with a car and am at a loss as to how to overcome this problem.

Help?
You should really lift a puppy in and out of the car until they are too big to do it. It's very jarring for their very young joints to keep jumping in and particularly out of a car.
Lea-n-Ben
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-04-2010, 09:40 PM
I know it dont seem like a nice way to do it but my dog trainer told me to try it and this has now made ben get into the car unaided what we were to do was to just drag him with his lead into the car we had to get in first and then encourage him but pulling on his lead to get him in we gav e him loads of praise once he got in but now after doing that a couple of times he gets in the car all by himslef
dreamaday
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-04-2010, 09:41 PM
I got my last dog Poppy as a rescue at 16 weeks, she was terrified of the car at first, I just took it very slow at first, just as cintvelt suggested.
I also lifted her in and out until she was quite a bit older, worried that the jumping in and out would damage her growing body, she started to attempt it on her own when she was ready.
She got the idea after a while and soon learned that "in the car" was probably one of the best places to be
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >