Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2007, 11:20 PM

"Where's my pension gone" ITV 9pm tonight

Did you watch it ?

What are your views, and have you still got an active pension, or have you frozen it?
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2007, 11:42 PM
So no comments, or no pensions ?
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2007, 12:11 AM
no i missed it i was going to watch it but i forgot .
i havent got a pension but i thought it would be interesting .
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Well it was pretty startling as to where most pension funds have evapourated too..

We froze ours 2 years ago along with many other people I know!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-01-2007, 06:01 PM
I haven't seen the programme and I have issues with pensions at the best of times because I have never felt that they were in my interest but the interest of those running the scheme usually.
I have a deferred pension from British Gas, which I am still too young to draw,
I have a protected rights pension which Gordon Brown has prevented me from accessing until I am 60 through new legislation and even the advisors had to seek help on that one, it was all set to be paid as he brought the new rules in and even the professionals can't understand the reasoning as it affects so few people, lucky me.
I have another which I have a draw down facility ( it has a minimum and a maximum that I can take each year ) which I take as a lump sum annually.
It's all too complicated for words and I need a financial advisor to find my way through the mire, every pension has a different set of rules and regulations and it makes my head hurt.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2007, 06:06 PM
Small print!! we had a pension linked mortgage for years, and the projections then were very attractive, and now well we all know that they will be worthless by the time we retire!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Trixybird View Post
Small print!! we had a pension linked mortgage for years, and the projections then were very attractive, and now well we all know that they will be worthless by the time we retire!
I think I am quite fortunate that when I do get my hands on mine it is worth having, which was why I wanted it early. We were going to take it and move abroad, but thanks to all the new rules, they are making it more and more difficult for me. I was allowed to take a lump sum out of one but not another and my financial advisor has had a bit of a tough time sorting it out, frankly I would have been lost without him. Also I'm equally convinced that they haven't stopped tinkering yet, so who knows what with them trying to raise the pensionable age, and the worry that too many will be reliant on the state they will probably put more obstacles in my way.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2007, 06:26 PM
we don't have private pension Dave has a works one .....I am glad i didn;t get one many are failing its a tragedy for those who have worked hard

just like endowments that won't clear morgages

i didn't see it
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2007, 07:44 PM
very true, when interest mortgages were popular and endowments were to clear the final amount