View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2006, 07:03 AM

help on no-pull harnesses..(which harness or head halter to choose?)

hi all,

would just like some advice on no-pull harnesses. my new doglet sam pulls like a steam train! i have to keep him on his lead all the time at the moment because he just runs off. i keep practising re-call when we are out but he gets so distrated by other things he usually ignores me. i praise him like mad when he does acknowledge me though and offer him a treat which he ignores! he is fine with re-call at home and in the garden though! anyway i tried the lupi harness which did stop him pulling but has rubbed him raw under his little arms! . so i am looking for a harness or collar or whatever that i can attach my 9m lunge line onto thats not going to rub him, that he can still have a good run on, and thats going to stop him pulling like crazy! is this alot to ask
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-04-2006, 07:15 AM
Some members have found the Walkezee harness a success. Eg: http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/wal...light=walkezee
http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/wal...light=walkezee

Use the DW Search facility and type in Walkezee and you will find several other threads
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2006, 07:22 AM
thanks for that. i have also been reading about the canny collar too. have you had any reviews on that? seems to be quite popular!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

28-04-2006, 07:34 AM
Here is a thread on the Canny Collar: http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/can...t=canny+collar

Again, just type Canny Collar into the Search box and you will get a lot of information
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

28-04-2006, 07:55 AM
I have Canny collars for Max and Saffy, cant recommend them enough for stopping pulling, but I have to say they arent ideal for Boxers in my view, but they should be great for a Springer.
shorej
New Member!
Female 

28-04-2006, 07:56 AM
Hi
Your treats need to be really interesting, like cheese or sausage (I use turkey sausage). Every time you call him back give him a treat, occasionally put the lead on, walk a few steps praise him, then take of the lead and let him free (when practicing at home). When out, do it on the lead..... make him sit and wait, walk to the end of the lead then call him to you, don't worry about making him sit at first, do it in stages. He needs to know that coming back you is not always put on lead a go home when you are out.

The lead pulling is a long difficult one, you could try a Gentle Leader.... these don't always work...... at least not with my collie!........ but there are other ways, you have to find the best one for your dog.

Good luck!!
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2006, 07:58 AM
are they okay to use with a long lunge line attached (9m)? as i have to keep him on his lead at the moment. cheers. seen them on ebay for £10...is that ok?
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

28-04-2006, 08:01 AM
Well Iv never used a Canny with a lunge line. But as they fasten to a lead or in your case a lunge line at the back of the head I see no reason why it wouldnt work.

£10 seems reasonable.
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2006, 08:03 AM
he's great doing recall at home and in the garden, sits there at my feet with his paw up as soon as he is callled! but outside is a different story. i want nothing better than to be able to let him off and let him have a good run. my girl is great, and i never have to have her on the lead...bless! she comes back straight away even if she is chasing a pheasant! i will practice with tastier treats....x
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

28-04-2006, 08:20 AM
The thing to be aware of with any head collar and a long line is the dog taking off and being suddenly brought to a halt with the possibility of damage to the neck/face. This would also apply of course to a short lead if the dog should suddenly lunge. Head collars are often compared to horse head-halters, but leading a horse is different from leading a dog - with the horse you lead from below the head, with the dog it is usually above. The collars which have the lead attachment behind & at the back of the head, rather than under or to the side of the muzzle, are preferable in my opinion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >