Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-07-2014, 02:27 PM

Vet checks at shows

I posted this in the appropriate section on Breedia but wondered what the general consensus was regarding vet checks and shows, and whether this particular owner was right to stick to her principles.

THE OWNER of the only Clumber Spaniel at Blackpool ch show refused to accept the best of breed award because she did not want him to undergo the high-profile breed veterinary check.

The dog involved was Marjorie Charlesworth-Ironside’s Tavirosh Old Yeller, who is 18 months old. Two Clumbers were entered at the show but the other did not take part.

Mrs Charlesworth-Ironside told DOG WORLD that when Clumbers were added to the high-profile list she vowed never to put her dogs through one.

"I’m very fussy about who touches my dogs and which vet I go to,” she said.
"We were all very upset that the Kennel Club had hit the Clumber with the double whammy of not only being a vulnerable breed but also being on the high-profile list. We had a meeting and everybody was very unhappy that our breed had been chosen as the only gundog breed to go on the list. The Clumber is a good, healthy breed.

"I didn’t have a best of breed-winning dog at the time, but I said that when I did I wouldn’t let any vet I didn’t know go over it. Everybody cheered. I do have my principles and I will stick to what I said. I feel just as strongly now as I did.”
Full article here...

http://www.dogworld.co.uk/product.ph...rm=Read%20more
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-07-2014, 04:08 PM
Why?? What she worried about the vet finding. I think thats very very dodgy actually. Something definitely smells to me
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2014, 05:57 PM
i agree, if you have nothing to worry about wouldn't you just get the vet check
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-07-2014, 07:18 PM
I'd be pleased to let the vet say there was nothing wrong!!!!
My opinion is that all dogs entering shows like this should have had the relevant health checks for their breed and to be unable to enter if they can't show the evidence. Also if the health checks show there is any problem, then they shouldn't be shown.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2014, 07:40 PM
I agree, it suggests that you are not confident that your dog (or the breed as a whole) would pass. However,these vet checks are proving contentious at the moment, when you get cases like the top winning St. Bernard which failed a single vet check (on eyeball size), but has passed all the other checks in its show career. The handler accepted the decision with good grace, but it does show that there is a need for consistency, rather than a personal view.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2014, 08:11 PM
Her argument doesn't stick really does it. Surely, the way to demonstrate you have a healthy breed is to welcome public health checks that show just how healthy your breed is
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-07-2014, 07:29 AM
I also don't understand her argument about not wanting other people than the vet she chose to touch her dog. Surely, if you show your dog, you know that quite a few people are going to touch the dog (judges etc.) and it should be used to it..?
Someone resisting a vet check just looks dodgy..
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-07-2014, 10:02 AM
Yeah one of the things in the KC Good Citizen course is having your dog stand whilst someone else checks ears, teeth etc so WHY??? I agree the eyeball thing sounds peculiar, but if it is part of the standard that breeders are expected to adhere to, then it is something you have to work with. Otherwise, change the breed standard if its that big an issue.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-07-2014, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
...[snip]...Yeah one of the things in the KC Good Citizen course is having your dog stand whilst someone else checks ears, teeth etc
Fair enough she does not stand while it is being done, but Pereg is more than used to having her ears, teeth, eyes, feet, everything in fact, checked. By me. By Ram. By Tzahi when he was working there. By both Dahlia and Ira the vet nurses. And no doubt she would put up with anyone else doing the same, providing they know what they are doing - which of course a show judge and vet should do.

And that is the point. Neither she nor I mind who it is who is checking her over, as long as they know what they are doing.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Something going on there definitely in my personal opinion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >