View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

14-04-2013, 11:02 PM

Fish for Dogs (Not 'Fish' but the dog feed)

Anybody have anything good or bad to say about Fish for Dogs ?

I only ask as that's what Mij has been on at his breeders.

I'm getting low on the Fish for Dogs puppy feed and I can only get round here if I order it up front.

What he gets long term is a different issue but I'm going to run out before he's due to come off puppy food so I'm in danger of a puppy diet change before the adult change which isn't ideal if that makes sense.

Anyway - planning ahead - It's expensive but I was wondering if anybody else uses the adult version ?
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2013, 06:35 AM
I used to use it but neither of mine were that keen on it . I used to have to mix a lot of butchers tripe mix in with it to get them to eat it. Also the pieces were huge although there is a smaller piece version but these are too small. I give them nature diet trays now for one meal which they really enjoy and raw for tea. I don't really like the idea of dry food anymore it just seems so unappetising and dry.

But it is supposed to be one of the better dry foods and I suppose if mij is e enjoying it and Is doing well on it he should be kept on it. There does seem to be a high fish content in it too which is good. I found it a lot cheeper to buy it on online.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2013, 07:40 AM
Duncan was on fish4dogs for years only down side to that was he smelled quite strongly of fish sometimes. Other than that it suited him very well indeed.
TazJas
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2013, 07:48 AM
My youngest is on fish4dogs adult at the moment. As he seems to get upset tummy easily. He was on beta when we got him but we changed him onto JWB puppy chicken and rice, but were never happy with it, due to his sensitive tum. We are considering trying Wainwrights salmon and potato next ( fingers crossed he is ok on it)
We did buy some natures diet trays but these didn't agree with him, I think it might be the rice but who knows
It's hard to know what's best....good luck with finding a suitable food for Mij.
BTW we bought te working one straight from fish for dogs..it is in a clear sack and was the cheapest we could find.
greatbarnet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2013, 07:50 AM
Mine get fed raw mainly, but I always have Fish 4 Dogs in the house as they get it for treats, in Kongs and things, and every night they have a handful before bed. They seem to enjoy it and I believe the quality and ingredients are good and claim to be sustainable. I agree that a bowl of that on its own would seem rather boring and dry to me, but as Kodimeg said, if Mij is enjoying it then it makes sense to keep him on it I guess. It is definitely cheaper to buy online (look around though, don't buy from F4D site unless they have offers on).

I recently got given a sample of DoggedyDog at a show and my girl really enjoyed it. I think they are a new company, so yet to prove themselves I suppose. Anyway, they do a salmon and potato version that looks the same as Fish 4 Dogs to me (regular bite size) but I believe is a bit cheaper. Unfortunately their website doesn't have as detailed information about the ingredients sources (in that respect F4D is better) otherwise I'd possibly switch myself.