Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Also, I do think that comparing the recent safety changes in F1 which still give exciting racing but not frequent deaths, with horse racing just doesn't work.

You can lower the fences all you like, but a horse can and will still trip over them. They sometimes trip over hurdles which are not very big, and unfortunately break their legs. Riders now have better protection in new helmets and body protectors, but horses cannot be bubble wrapped and whether racing or being silly all by themselves in a field, they can injure themselves badly.

The only way to make horses safe is to stop riding them altogether and confining them to a stable.
and cars still crash and drivers still die
There are always risks
My point is simply at what different people see as acceptable and not acceptable
Of course there will always be deaths, I have already said I know and accept that
Just that IMO 3 horses in 1 race it too much

as I said - would you still be happy if every GN 20 horses died?

and as I have already said - eventing like badmington has big dangerous jumps - and a larger number of horses compeating - yet there are less deaths
Why is that?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
and cars still crash and drivers still die
There are always risks
My point is simply at what different people see as acceptable and not acceptable
Of course there will always be deaths, I have already said I know and accept that
Just that IMO 3 horses in 1 race it too much

as I said - would you still be happy if every GN 20 horses died?

and as I have already said - eventing like badmington has big dangerous jumps - and a larger number of horses compeating - yet there are less deaths
Why is that?
I doubt that one single person is ever happy when a horse dies, wherever it might be. So, if the papers gave headline news to every accident involving a horse which resulted in it's death - and that would be a very regular headline indeed - would everyone jump up and down and call for a ban on riding or even keeping horses? I don't think so, they would just say how sad, but all those deaths are actually no different to what happens sometimes on a racecourse. You say that it is not acceptable for this to happen in the name of entertainment.........so in that case you must surely include all those horses that are injured when being ridden for pleasure.

I don't bet on racing, or anything else, but I do enjoy watching beautiful animals doing what they were bred to do, and feel deep sympathy for anyone who loses their horse wherever it may be.

As for eventing, horses do die unfortunately as do the riders, but there are a huge number more races than three day events so you cannot compare numbers.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 09:00 PM
They had a discussion today on radio four about it. It seems that this year might be the straw that breaks the camels back.

A year of much change and maybe a way forward for animal rights generally as more people wake up and actually see what is going on around them.

rune
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I doubt that one single person is ever happy when a horse dies, wherever it might be. So, if the papers gave headline news to every accident involving a horse which resulted in it's death - and that would be a very regular headline indeed - would everyone jump up and down and call for a ban on riding or even keeping horses? I don't think so, they would just say how sad, but all those deaths are actually no different to what happens sometimes on a racecourse. You say that it is not acceptable for this to happen in the name of entertainment.........so in that case you must surely include all those horses that are injured when being ridden for pleasure.

I don't bet on racing, or anything else, but I do enjoy watching beautiful animals doing what they were bred to do, and feel deep sympathy for anyone who loses their horse wherever it may be.

As for eventing, horses do die unfortunately as do the riders, but there are a huge number more races than three day events so you cannot compare numbers.
I dont think you are understanding what I am saying
Yes Horses die
people die, dogs die, everything dies and everything carrys risks

When I am saying the sheer numbers I mean that in a race of 40 animals 3 of them dying is, to me, to high
The field in Badmington is around 80 horses, it is a longer course with bigger harder jumps - and yet deaths are rare - I can only find one in the past few years

yes horses die being ridden every day - but not 3 in 40 of them
even regular races it seems there are higher numbers of horses dying than I would like to see - but not 3 in every race! If that was the case no horse would live to see the next year
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2014, 09:25 PM
Evil race , for ppl who are meant to breed such expensive horses I can only think the winning money and the insurance must be worth it for them ,stuck a saddle on them ******s and give them a whip . Can u imagine the up roar
Page 16 of 16 « First < 6 13 14 15 16