register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What do you think of the Grand National?
I think it should stay but changes need to be made 70 56.45%
I think it should stay with no changes 8 6.45%
I bet on it 16 12.90%
I don't bet on it 29 23.39%
I don't care one way or the other. 1 0.81%
I think it should be abolished 43 34.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 4 of 29 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yet you watched, knowing the possibilities. Gets a lot of folk like that.
I think that's testament to how this ''circus'' is seen. People don't like it Dawn, it's upsetting to see horses die for sport/money. Are you telling me you watched it and just shrugged when they died? Does it not bother you because the kill is always worth it for you?

I voted abolish, obviously.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I think that's testament to how this ''circus'' is seen. People don't like it Dawn, it's upsetting to see horses die for sport/money. Are you telling me you watched it and just shrugged when they died? Does it not bother you because the kill is always worth it for you?

I voted abolish, obviously.
Yeah Pidge, I watched it to watch the horses die. That IS ridiculous.

The kill MUST be worth it for me Pidge, I make loads of money from it, dont forget that!

If people dont like it they shouldnt watch it, they KNOW what it is its their choice, period.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Yeah Pidge, I watched it to watch the horses die. That IS ridiculous.

The kill MUST be worth it for me Pidge, I make loads of money from it, dont forget that!

If people dont like it they shouldnt watch it, they KNOW what it is its their choice, period.
I didn't suggest any of that. I asked you how you felt when you saw the horses die and assumed, by your support of the sport that you would just shrug it off. If you did otherwise then please let me know.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 06:24 PM
I bet on it and would like it to stay, but think there're things that need to be looked at.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 06:28 PM
I didn't suggest any of that. I asked you how you felt when you saw the horses die and assumed, by your support of the sport that you would just shrug it off. If you did otherwise then please let me know.
I think, its not pleasant t all when any Horse is injured or worse. But as long as they are treated quickly and with compassion, then for me I can deal with that. There is risk in everything we do, everything we take part in and everything we are likely to do.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 06:29 PM
I think abolished to along side all horse racing..I wont just single out the GN - I dont watch it, and dont bet..I see no reason that it need continue. It has no purpose for the horses (who wouldnt be here if it wasnt for such races in the first place!).
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 06:38 PM
I think, its not pleasant t all when any Horse is injured or worse. But as long as they are treated quickly and with compassion, then for me I can deal with that. There is risk in everything we do, everything we take part in and everything we are likely to do.
Do the horses chose to make those risks? No. We make them do it and we put their lives at risk.

Would you happily allow your pets dogs to compete in a show like this, if it meant there was a 50/50 chance they would die?
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-04-2011, 06:44 PM

Would you happily allow your pets dogs to compete in a show like this, if it meant there was a 50/50 chance they would die?

40 runners 2 horses died=50% death rate??????????
Jacquiestringer
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2011, 06:57 PM
I would love for it to be abolished. I dont bet on it and will not even take part in the sweep stake at work because I think it is barbaric. If we are meant to be a civilised society how can we let this race continue? Why do the jumps have to be so high and so dangerous? Why cant the race take place on the flats so that it is less dangerous? Surely an organisation such as the RSPCA should be able to stop this race taking place given the horrific injuries these poor horses are suffering....it seems to me that the owners do not give a stuff about the horses, they are just interested in winning the race, collecting the prize money and collecting the money they get from putting the horse out to stud when it retires. I also think it ia appalling how the jockeys use the whips to beat the horses senseless...I would love someone to do the same to the jockeys and see whether they still thought it acceptable after that.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Do the horses chose to make those risks? No. We make them do it and we put their lives at risk.

50/50, WOW!! PLEASE show me where you got that from!

A Horse is a Horse, its not a human being, despite what you think, Horses are here for our purposes for the most part, we keep them, care for them, etc.. they are in most cases an animal to be used in some activity. Unfortunately sometimes they get hurt.
Page 4 of 29 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »