Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by katandcolin View Post
Agreed whole heartedly!
and seconded by me!!!!

I'd rather have a puppy anyday, no maternal instincts here Afterall, you can't tell your toddler to get in its bed, mummy's going out can yer!!!!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
and seconded by me!!!!

I'd rather have a puppy anyday, no maternal instincts here Afterall, you can't tell your toddler to get in its bed, mummy's going out can yer!!!!
True, but I have never been able to do that with Mr Loki either, pain in the bum that he is.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 06:08 PM
I have one little boy who is two years old. I never really felt as though I wanted children, and didn't have Ben until I was 35 years old. My mind changed about children when I finally found a man I wanted to settle down with and that seemed to bring out the maternal instincts in me.

I had a blood clot and so Ben was born two months early. We could both had died and Ben spent two months in SCBU until he was big and strong enough to come home. He sometimes drives me to distraction, but I love him to bits and am just happy and thankful he is here with me today Children, for the most part, are a blessing.

Having said that, one is enough for me and I have no plans on having any more!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-10-2010, 06:19 PM
I have two children, a boy and a girl, there was a time when we thought about having another , but never did , so am happy with what I have

Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
I think it's bloomin marvellous that the government has finally started to mention 'afford' and 'children' in the same sentence. I don't understand why people purposefully have kids when they can't really afford them without relying on benefits, it REALLY bugs me actually!!!(don't shout -yes, there are loads of circumstances where people need benefits to bring up children too which I accept).

I've gotten 'broody' many times over the past 5/6 years but know I want everything to be perfect, good job, family home and no stress financial wise before we start having kids.

I can afford 3 kids Hence why I've kicked everything off to a good start career/house wise, and waited till I'm 28 to get married then...........

Completely agree with the above, its about time this "I can have what I want and the state will pay for it" culture is brought to the attention of the powers that be,

Have as many kids as you like, but dont expect the state to pay for them all.

Originally Posted by Cachapman710 View Post
Can I just ask the few of you who mentioned sponging off benefits, do you not claim Child Benefit yourselves, non of you claim child tax credits?

I claimed my "family allowance" for my two when they where eligible, I worked, my hubby work,s he pays his taxes and I have no qualms about it .

Or are you lucky enough to be on a fantastic wage? Down in Cornwall where I live you are extremely lucky to be on anything higher than minimum wage. Some of us have no choice but to claim benefits.
The benefit system is there to HELP those in need, it is NOT (OR SHOULD NOT) be there to support a lifestyle,

It is not right for a family on benefits to have a higher income than those who work,

The talk of a £500 cap on benefits could a very good move, it will 1) stop people churning out the number of kids to equal the amount of benefits or a bigger house, 2) hopefully it might , just might instill some much needed morality and self respect into the children of those who "scrounge" on the state, it might teach them, that to get on in life one has to earn a living, it might teach the parents that for once in their life , if they want a new wide screen TV, they have to earn the money to get it.

If you have 10 children and a 3 bedroom house, why should you expect a 5 bedroom house, your kids will have to double, triple up , if you cant afford the best designer gear, tuff, you live to your means.........like every one else does who earns a living a family getting £95 grand a yr in benefits is a slap in the face of hard working people, I wonder at what number they would have stopped at if the cap was £500

I beleive strongly in our benefit system, its there for a reason, but the reason HAS to be for those who need it ,NOT those who abuse it!
katandcolin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Here Here, Well said Jackbox
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I have two children, a boy and a girl, there was a time when we thought about having another , but never did , so am happy with what I have

Completely agree with the above, its about time this "I can have what I want and the state will pay for it" culture is brought to the attention of the powers that be,

The benefit system is there to HELP those in need, it is NOT (OR SHOULD NOT) be there to support a lifestyle,

It is not right for a family on benefits to have a higher income than those who work,

The talk of a £500 cap on benefits could a very good move, it will 1) stop people churning out the number of kids to equal the amount of benefits or a bigger house, 2) hopefully it might , just might instill some much needed morality and self respect into the children of those who "scrounge" on the state, it might teach them, that to get on in life one has to earn a living, it might teach the parents that for once in their life , if they want a new wide screen TV, they have to earn the money to get it.

If you have 10 children and a 3 bedroom house, why should you expect a 5 bedroom house, your kids will have to double, triple up , if you cant afford the best designer gear, tuff, you live to your means.........like every one else does who earns a living a family getting £95 grand a yr in benefits is a slap in the face of hard working people, I wonder at what number they would have stopped at if the cap was £500

I beleive strongly in our benefit system, its there for a reason, but the reason HAS to be for those who need it ,NOT those who abuse it!
We don't always agree, but I agree with all of this! Well said.
Deedee1321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-10-2010, 06:49 PM
We don't have any kids yet. I'd definitely like one, I'm more broody than hubby at the moment. There is also the chance that I might not be able to have kids although if that was the case I'd want to adopt. We should be more stable financially from next year so hoping to start trying then.

Completely agree with Jackbox re: benefits also

Dee
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 07:02 PM
I have 2, a girl and a boy, Mr Ship would have quite liked more but I couldn't stand any more sleep deprivation!

I still do get broody....but only for another puppy!!!

J.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

I totally agree! I know someone who has 10 children, neither her nor her husband work yet they have all the latest gizmos and gadgets. It really really boils my blood.

Originally Posted by katandcolin View Post
Agree Westie_N

There is a choice, which is why I am choosing at this stage not to have kids as I cannot afford to! What saddens me is that this may not ever change...
That said if you are working with children, and then find yourself out of work that is what benefts are there for - to help you while you are looking for something else.

IMO benefits are not there to allow people who are fit to work, not to work, whether they have children or not.

and if you can work and, means tested, it is not enough for your existing family then I see nothing worng with a top up from the government.

What really gets to me is when people DECIDE to have more children KNOWING they cannot afford them (and by they I mean self funded!) But no they chose to go ahead having kids anyway knowing the government will 'pay' for them

something inherently wrong in our welfare system.
No wonder we are in so much debt and yet the government sees fit for hard working public servants and the like to lose there jobs thus making the system have to pay out again

I wish i had a magic wand!!

Emotive subject this isnt it? xxxx
Again I agree 100%

Originally Posted by Cachapman710 View Post
Can I just ask the few of you who mentioned sponging off benefits, do you not claim Child Benefit yourselves, non of you claim child tax credits?

Or are you lucky enough to be on a fantastic wage? Down in Cornwall where I live you are extremely lucky to be on anything higher than minimum wage. Some of us have no choice but to claim benefits.
Child benefit and tax credits are available to all (currently) Yes we do get both BUT the difference is whether you get these benefits because you have children OR if you have children to get the benefits and yes there is a big difference.

We have 3 children, which is all we can afford, if we won the lottery tomorrow then yes we would have a few more
katandcolin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-10-2010, 09:09 PM
10 children and neither work???? If it's the case they've been popping them out backed solely by the state why on earth can and should they be able to afford al these gadgets etc ( assuming this is50" LCD tvs and the like!!!).
Surely it is wrong that working families can't afford these LUXURIES? Makes me sick
Page 5 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »