Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 07:32 PM

"Healthy" Wolves. Zoo/Park animals)

Got talking to a guy this afternoon that used to work for 2 Zoos and a "safari park" over the last 22yrs. Really nice chap, does falconry now. We were talking about various things when the health of these animals came into question, particularly the Wolves. He said that in the wild any Wolf that was "defective" (he used that word) would be killed or starve to death, but in captivity the increase of inherited problems is rising, and because although some still like to view them as "wild" they are not, ultimately they do not behave as wild animals and the killing or starving of such animals is not an option, but more so this just doesnt happen, leaving "defective" animals to grow and sometimes go onto breed, which he disagreed with greatly.

Anyhow, he said that Wolves had several issues, and he had seen fitting and "lameness" in the hindquarters along with mouth problems. Which finally brings me to this picture I took last week of a Wolf in a Zoo, which I had been told of before and seen one picture of. He appeared to be a fairly dominant animal and had the share of the food, others standing back and trying to nick bits. However you can clearly see his severely undershot jaw, not good is it? Makes you wonder how much "good" these parks/Zoo's etc are actually doing in "preserving" species with genetic abnormalities. This animal had a piece of meat at his feet, the Wolf on the left of him was wary and submissive when the undershot Wolf challenged him.

Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Very interesting.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 08:15 PM
lovely, x there coat looks lush
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 08:19 PM
I remember when kincraig culled there small pack of wolves after the alpha died I was horrified at the time and vowed never to visit, but this year I was persuaded as OH wanted to see the tigers (which were in a MUCH improved environment to that at Edinburgh zoo) and we got talking to one of the keepers who was feeding the wolves and everything he said made sense about the fact that in the wild the wolves would have been able to slope off and be part of another pack or be the loner on the fringes of the pack, butin captivity it would be very difficult if not impossible to accomodate this natural behaviour.

I am not saying I agree with the euthanasia but I suspect I don't know enough to make an informed decision, and he also mentioned wolves with hereditary issues that had missed a generation, and the reluctance to agree with natural selection. It is a really interesting topic. Thanks Dawn
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 09:09 PM
No probs, I just found it interesting that in the interests of "preservation" animals can ultimately be allowed to suffer as a result. Likewise white Tigers, bred for what? they cant survive in the wild, yet bred for what can only be seen as a public spectacle, no preservation there either!!
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 09:57 PM
I hate zoos like that... White tigers, crossing lions and tigers, breeding elephants to reel in the public and then culling them.. It's appalling it really is. Sadly most people either assume that zoos are purely for their entertainment and don't give a hoot about any conservation efforts, or that they are totally faultless. I guess it's just a business venture to some... What kind of wolves are they there Dawn?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Grey Wolves Reisu.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 11:11 AM
They're not endangered at all though are they? Hopefully they're trying harder with the species that actually need preservation
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 01:03 PM
No not very endangered, typical "ploy" and money scam!!!