Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 04:43 PM

Any Canucks on here?

My husband and I are on the visa waiting list to immigrate to Canada and it's due to be assessed in about a years time.

I'd like to know what dog ownership is like in Canada. Are there any different laws/rules/restrictions? Do you have pet insurance the same as here in the UK? Is walking about, off lead a common thing?

Any other things I should know?

Obviously most of this dependent on where but at the mo' we're aiming for Calgary, Alberta.

Thanks in advance.

Pidge
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Hey Pidgy

No Canuck here, but visited a couple of years ago (we did Vancouver Island, British Columbia and Alberta) and LOVED the place. Really and truly. Beautiful scenery, lovely people...the Canadian sense of humor seems more in tune with the British than the Americans.

I could so see myself living there one day.

Don't know about the off lead walking, but in Canada you are never too far from the wilderness.
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-07-2009, 05:21 PM
ooh i dont know, But where hoping to move to ontario in a couple of years i just love it there
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
My husband and I are on the visa waiting list to immigrate to Canada and it's due to be assessed in about a years time.

I'd like to know what dog ownership is like in Canada. Are there any different laws/rules/restrictions? Do you have pet insurance the same as here in the UK? Is walking about, off lead a common thing?

Any other things I should know?

Obviously most of this dependent on where but at the mo' we're aiming for Calgary, Alberta.

Thanks in advance.

Pidge
Uh, that would be me, although been a long time since I lived there. The only dog I had when we lived there was when I was growing up and he wasn't off lead although most of my friends have dogs who are often off lead. I would think the same rules and regs would apply there as here. Sara and Scout on here are in Canada and on the West Coast. May want to pm her for up to date info Em.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Wow Em, how exciting!! Ohh bet you can't wait for that.

I take it a Canuck is an ex-Canadian then? LMAO as I thought it was a dog-breed!!!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post

I take it a Canuck is an ex-Canadian then? LMAO as I thought it was a dog-breed!!!
LOL, a Canuck is indeed a Canadian
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Hey Pidgy

No Canuck here, but visited a couple of years ago (we did Vancouver Island, British Columbia and Alberta) and LOVED the place. Really and truly. Beautiful scenery, lovely people...the Canadian sense of humor seems more in tune with the British than the Americans.

I could so see myself living there one day.

Don't know about the off lead walking, but in Canada you are never too far from the wilderness.
It's so hard to visualise. The last time I was there I was 7, although we did have dogs.

Originally Posted by HannahCB View Post
ooh i dont know, But where hoping to move to ontario in a couple of years i just love it there
Really, do you have a visa then? Where aboot (;o) in Ontario?

Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
Uh, that would be me, although been a long time since I lived there. The only dog I had when we lived there was when I was growing up and he wasn't off lead although most of my friends have dogs who are often off lead. I would think the same rules and regs would apply there as here. Sara and Scout on here are in Canada and on the West Coast. May want to pm her for up to date info Em.
OK, thanks mate x

Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post

LOL A-M sorry about that ;o) Yes, it is bloody exciting but there are no guarantees we'll get in. We've been waiting for two years and meet all the criteria including savings, health and points but we've not had much luck lately so I'm feeling pessimistic. Still, here's hoping!

Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
LOL, a Canuck is indeed a Canadian
LOL, it is. I'm so used to my friends all calling each other Canucks it's just stuck I guess, I forget not everyone will know it ;o)
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 09:03 PM
For some reason I thought it was a derogatory term You learn something new every day
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 10:40 PM
I am actually not on the west coast (it is about 14 hours away), but 1.5 hours north of Calgary, near Red Deer. Calgary is a LARGE city (up over a million people now), but really close to the mountains and alot of other neat places. I have family and friends there, and I have been lost in the city numerous times LOL. We have Off leash parks, but it is frowned upon to have a dog off leash in a regular park (tickets!). There is tons of wide open space tho, maybe you can find someplace outside the city to run your dog.

What made you decide to come here? I LOVE it here and would NEVER leave. I have everything I want within a few hours, Mountains, Lakes, Badlands, Family, open space, forests.... and even the big cities, if I ever need to go to one (as little as possible tho... I hate 'em)

Nope Canuck is not a derogatory term, we call ourselves that. funny, I kinda thought everyone knew that term too!
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 10:43 PM
OH and yes we have pet insurance, tho dont know if it's the same here as there. I dont have it, I dont think alot of people do.