Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 05:26 PM

***Stop leaving dogs in cars***

Again, another two dogs left in a car, as the owner walked away from her car with her two children... the dogs were barking

I said would you like me to stay with your dogs whilst your away - oh no they are ok she replied

When will this message ever get across - so very sad
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Don't know if it ever will. Someone I know leaves her two jacks in the car when they go in the local shops. Can't tell her otherwise.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 05:40 PM
gobsmacked..................................
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Do you mean with the weather? Or in general?

I'm sorry... I do leave my dogs in my car. I know there is a risk of theft, but then there is a risk someone will break into my house and take my dogs too.

That said, nobody would break into my car whilst Takara was in there without anybody around noticing because she's mental...

I will leave them if I need to pop to the shops and they're already out with me, but I always leave the car where I can see it from the shop but in this weather I most certainly wouldn't. It's way too hot - I have blankets over the crates for travel and a plant mister to spray at them but wouldn't leave them for any period of time when it's this hot.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 06:36 PM
if i saw a dog in a car in this weather (and no owner around) im afraid id report them to the police. i wont even take ben out during the day on a walk in this weather. way too hot for a dog. even the cats hide themselves away all day.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Do you mean with the weather? Or in general?

I'm sorry... I do leave my dogs in my car. I know there is a risk of theft, but then there is a risk someone will break into my house and take my dogs too.

That said, nobody would break into my car whilst Takara was in there without anybody around noticing because she's mental...

I will leave them if I need to pop to the shops and they're already out with me, but I always leave the car where I can see it from the shop but in this weather I most certainly wouldn't. It's way too hot - I have blankets over the crates for travel and a plant mister to spray at them but wouldn't leave them for any period of time when it's this hot.
It's been over 30 degrees down here where Tracy lives Lottie, apart from the last couple of days when it's been about 26, but it's creeping up again. Far, far too hot to leave a dog in a car. The dog warden told me 20 mins. the dog will be dead He smashed a window on the seafront last summer, surrounded by a load of flower sellers and the police, who were waiting to pounce on the car owner when she came out of M & S with her shopping!!!!! Unfortunately, he told me he had to wait until the dog actually collapsed (YES, they had to watch all that!) before being allowed to smash the car window in too!!! I think the law has now been changed and he can smash it no matter what, thank God!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 07:17 PM
We don't leave ours in the car often anyway,( snce having Skye I can only recall twice, and she's 2 and 1/4) but in weather like this.....it is a defo NO NO.
They get warm just travelling to the park in the car we have all windows open as we're travelling.
Helena's right too, 20 mins is all it takes, and for those dogs that have thicker coats less than 20 mins.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Ah ok ta - I didn't know if it was a comment regardless of weather or with it being so hot.

It's been ridiculously hot here too and I've been waiting for cool times to take them out for walks (although to be honest, it's never very cool!) so mine haven't been staying in the car either...unfortunately they have had to travel in the car because I am dogsitting a mental border collie and although I can walk them all together, my mobility's been limited so the car it is. However - I have all the back windows down and the plant mister in the front so I can spray them while they're in their crates- plus plenty of water and we've been driving to woods where it's covered over That's when we have been out because the poor things just aren't bothered - they've not been walking or eating recently.

I would leave them in there in the cool weather but never when it's like this!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Yes my post was directed at leaving dogs in cars unattended in this heat.

Massive out of town stores, where you don't just pop in and out, never possible with all the queues at the checkouts anyway!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 10:40 PM
words fail me,, I cant stand sitting in the car with the AC turned off just now,,,never mind the dogs. its cruel
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >