View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
clairetaylor89
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2007, 09:28 PM

Birthday surprise...A big one at that!!!

Was lying in bed last night and heard a lot of squeeking coming from my gerbils cage, I had a peep to see if they were ok and I seen this little pink thing moving aroung between the gaps in the bedding. I had a closer look and there were 5 baby gerbils lying in a heap. I got such a scare because I had no idea they were expecting a litter as I have only had then for about 2 weeks. I read up on the internet and it said to check and make sure they were feeding ok and that there were no still births and unfortunately one had died. I removed it from the cage so I am now left with 4. Such a big shock to me but they are looking great and all seems to be well.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2007, 09:32 PM
You`ll be needing some extra cages soon unless you want a colony!! Also watch out for the male as he can often eat the babies!! We used to separate ours so we had mum in with the babies but I`m sure it will tell you all that on the tinternet somewhere.

Congrtas anyway and enjoy, they are soo cute.
clairetaylor89
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Thanks fudgeley, I did read that somewhere but I read a few more sights and they said that gerbils are so friendly that they would be fine but they said that if you do seperate the father from the mother you have to introduce them again using a cage with a divide type idea so the mother can get used to his scent again or she will fight with him. Would you recommend seperating them or do you think they will be ok???
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2007, 10:06 PM
They will breed very quickly after this litter. The male will breed with any female babies and with the mother. At one time we ended up with three or four cages with different litters and sexes in them. Unless you want babies for ever more you may have to consider separating them permanently. If you sex the babies when they are ready to leave mum you could have a cage of males and of females.Just a thought.

We had some babies that were eaten and some that were ok.It was along time ago however and trends may have changed.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Claire I have sent you a pm with a gerbil site.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Congratulations on becoming a mum on your 18th birthday.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 02:13 PM
i dont know if its the same for gerbils but for hamsters - as soon as the mother has given birth - well within 24 hours - the male can mate with the female again - and then a few weeks later - another 5+ on their way!!!! lol!!

id separate them when you can cos its more than likely now if they are the same sorta thing as hammys that you will have more on the way