Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 10:24 AM

Dog Walkers

Hi everyone

I've been considering getting a dog walker for Max to come whilst we are at work. He is left alone all day, which he has no problem with, as we've done it since he was 10 weeks old. I walk him for about 45-60mins in a morning, and 60 mins after work.

My concern is that as he gets older he needs more exercise(he used to be knackered after those walks, but has increasingly more energy) and that as it is dark when we go for our walks, he doesn't get much "off-lead" time.

I figured that if he can get an hour's daylight walk every day as well (during the winter months especially) then that would be better for him.

I've found a couple of them that charge reasonably and seem to do what we want. Should I ask them to come over so they can meet Max, and I can "interview" them?

If he gets on with them, and they don't seem fazed by him, what else should I aks them? Both walkers charge between £7-9 a day for an hours walk somewhere local (in my case the beach).

Any tips for "interviewing" or questions I should ask would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Ask them for their full address and check their address out (i.e. make sure they live there) Ask for police check letter if they have one. What experience do they have, what dogs have they owned, would they let him off a lead. How many times would they be willing to come round so Max gets used to them? Ask for all telephone numbers and e-mail addresses and check them out. Do they have numbers of customers who would be willing to talk to you. What is their procedure should Max be injured i.e. what vet would they take him to? Do they have animal first aid experience? What would they do if Max went missing when out on a walk?
Can't think of anything else at the moment!
Becky
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 10:31 AM
I think i'd go on gut instinct and Max's reaction to them... but ask for references and follow up on these. make sure you phone the referee's and find out how they feel about the walkers. Also they should i believe be police checked?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 10:32 AM
i had a dog walker for a while she was a god send i still see her when i am out with mine ............she wasn't a professional she just loved dogs
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Thanks guys, Hevvur found me numbers of some police checked ones, so they are the only ones I've contacted!

Will make a list of questions to grill them with...
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 10:52 AM
I think the others have probably given you plenty of advice regarding what questions to ask.

Max will love getting out during the day I am sure and I hope one of the walkers suits your needs.

I walk my dogs myself at lunchtime but did consider a dog walker for a while but when I contacted the two in my area both were fully booked up and couldn't take any more dogs, so I hope you have better luck.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 10:55 AM
agree with the others .... i used one when i had 8 puppies born here and i was stretched for time

the girls loved going out with her