Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 06:41 PM

Anyone got a sat nav for walkers?

I'm looking for cheap (aka reasonable price say £150 max) and that Garmin e-trex looks ok? I'm moving somewhere totally alien to me with lots of woodland walks, country parks etc. and I'm ooooold, so am likely to get lost, so this is a must for me until I get to know my daily walks!

Any input greatly received thanks!
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 06:59 PM
I bought one on ebay, I don't use it much but did use it in the dales. If all else fails it has a breadcrumb feature so you can retrace your steps (I used that feature, scarey on your own when every direction looks the same)

I believe you can set a point, for example your car, so you can be guided back to it.

Be aware though it doesn't take into account that there could be a river or other obstacle in the way which you can't cross, you have to work out how to negotiate these yourself.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:04 PM
That one sounds right up my street, I'm happy to negotiate a circular walk, but it would be nice to know that I could retrace my steps to get back to the car if needed, that's exactly what I'm looking for, so thanks for that!

Was it a Garmin one Gerry? I've now watched a video which shows you how to use all that's out there, and I really don't want to spend £500 , but it seems the Satmap or Garmin one at around £300 could well suit me. I have a fear of being lost in thick woodland and there's lots of it where I'm heading!
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Got an App on my phone that does it I can drop a way point as to where my car is/starting point and just follow the map on my phone
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Mine is a garmin, I think mine is an e-trex, not the most basic but not the most complicated either. It's worth considering carrying extra batteries just in case.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
Got an App on my phone that does it I can drop a way point as to where my car is/starting point and just follow the map on my phone

Yup that's what I've got aswell And I've used it a few times now
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

28-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Helena, have you checked the one in your car (assuming you have one in the car) I was going through the options on my Garmin and came across a walkers option, I've only ever used it once and it was a bit different to the vehicle option, as far as I can remember you had to manually update it or something.

To tell the truth it wasn't a great help but I think that was because I had never used it in pedestrian mode before (or since!)

Anyway, might be worth having a look through the menu on your vehicle version just in case it will do the job.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 08:35 PM
I have a Garmin GPS 60 which was a gift to me.

I cant say anything more than that because i've never used it! I would love to but just dont understand it at all!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-03-2012, 10:09 PM
We have a garmin e-trex one which is a few years old now, mostly it gets used for the kids geocaching days out but its ideal for marking the start of your walk so you find your way home again.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 06:08 AM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
Yes, Dave has mentioned that to me, but I know what I'm like with mobiles, I'd end up chucking it in the bushes methinks!

Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
Mine is a garmin, I think mine is an e-trex, not the most basic but not the most complicated either. It's worth considering carrying extra batteries just in case.
That's the beauty of the made for purpose ones, you just carry exta batteries whereas other options it could run out of juice and I get lost. I'm erring towards that middle range garmin, thanks Gerry.

Originally Posted by bellaluna View Post
Yup that's what I've got aswell And I've used it a few times now
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Helena, have you checked the one in your car (assuming you have one in the car) I was going through the options on my Garmin and came across a walkers option, I've only ever used it once and it was a bit different to the vehicle option, as far as I can remember you had to manually update it or something.

To tell the truth it wasn't a great help but I think that was because I had never used it in pedestrian mode before (or since!)

Anyway, might be worth having a look through the menu on your vehicle version just in case it will do the job.
Yes, Dave said about that, but he said you'd just end up with a big arrow on a blank screen, but it would get me back to "home" be it by road on legs! The road angel can be used both in the car and on foot though I, but that's £500!

Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I have a Garmin GPS 60 which was a gift to me.

I cant say anything more than that because i've never used it! I would love to but just dont understand it at all!
Lol! That's what's worrying ME Leanne. That's probably the one with the big arrow and not a lot else, I do need to see an o/s map on the screen. I'm used to O/S maps from my riding days (and we still got lost lol!)

Originally Posted by Carole View Post
We have a garmin e-trex one which is a few years old now, mostly it gets used for the kids geocaching days out but its ideal for marking the start of your walk so you find your way home again.
Thanks Carole I'll look into these garmins.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >