Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Er I think the word is "crossbreeds"!
Well absolutely - speaking as one who has a first cross. The Mayhew dog looking for a home is a very unusual looking dog, though!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 01:43 AM
Technically speaking they arent mongrels, they are crossbreeds, result of two pure bred dogs

Mongrel definition:- *a dog of mixed or indeterminate breeding

I dont know which is worse - selling for gain or to pay for farm feed. (the latter is still gain). Its all indiscriminate breeding . No thoughts for whats being produced. When things go wrong, its the pups/dogs that suffer
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Technically speaking they arent mongrels, they are crossbreeds, result of two pure bred dogs

Mongrel definition:- *a dog of mixed or indeterminate breeding

I dont know which is worse - selling for gain or to pay for farm feed. (the latter is still gain). Its all indiscriminate breeding . No thoughts for whats being produced. When things go wrong, its the pups/dogs that suffer
Oh the farm we got Louie had them flea'd, wormed and vet checked. And it wasn't cheap flea or worming stuff either! All his other dogs looked in great health - I met all 10 of them (7 springers, 1 springer x lab and two GSD's) ..

And we got told that if anything was wrong or we no longer wanted him we could take him back there and he would find another home for him himself or keep him.

So I don't think this particular man is thoughtless. The pups were all fat and healthy (I know how to do a quick check -eyes, ears, mouth, distended bellies etc)

But I agree, there is some very mindless people who do it for just the money without the pups and bitch in mind.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 01:40 PM
It drives me mad when I see these ads, totally ridiculous some of the prices they charge just because they come up with a silly name. When you think of all the rescue centres crammed with dogs needing homes and then you get people like this breeding purely to cash-in (probably without much thought), makes you sooo angry.

Bet most of them haven't given it a second thought as to what they will do if they don't sell the pups easily?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 01:42 PM
a dog of mixed or indeterminate breeding

Therefore as a cross bred is a mix of two dogs the definition of mongrel applies to a cross bred dog too!

I fail to understand why people object to the word mongrel, that is what a cross breed is, as velvet boxer has demonstrated.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 01:46 PM
In all fairness why should anyone stop the marketing of such dogs? There are plenty of similar tools used in other spheres?

As for prices, well again, it is not different than people selling clothes for exorbitant prices just because they have a logo on, despite the clothes being made in EXACTLY the same factories as those made for eg PRIMARK etc.

The idiot is the purchaser, not the seller! The vendor is very intelligent making money out of it.

I don't care WHAT people call their mongrels, as Shakespear said, a rose by any other name etc etc
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 01:56 PM
We do not appear to object to other portemanteau words?!

• Oxbridge
• pixel
• quasar
• sexting
• smog
• splatter
• statusphere
• telethon
• Brangelina
• Frankenfood
• infomercial
• motel
• netiquette
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
We paid £300 for our "Springador" but we looked at the Mum - excellent working dog, and we looked at how they were kept and asked about the price and it wasn't for money - it was going back into the animals on the farm - for feeds and winter stocks. Sometimes it's not all about money...but yes - it is ridiculous sometimes.
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Oh the farm we got Louie had them flea'd, wormed and vet checked. And it wasn't cheap flea or worming stuff either! All his other dogs looked in great health - I met all 10 of them (7 springers, 1 springer x lab and two GSD's) ..

And we got told that if anything was wrong or we no longer wanted him we could take him back there and he would find another home for him himself or keep him.

So I don't think this particular man is thoughtless. The pups were all fat and healthy (I know how to do a quick check -eyes, ears, mouth, distended bellies etc)

But I agree, there is some very mindless people who do it for just the money without the pups and bitch in mind.
That person bred for money...even if it went back into the farm, its still for money. Its like me saying im struggling with my heating bill this winter, oh i know, i'll breed a litter to pay for the heating bill, its not for money as its going to british gas!!!!

I dont agree with the breeding of any dogs (crosses or purebred) that dont have full health tests done at a minimum...anyone that has all those done is unlikely to be able to breed for proft except in a few breeds.

I dont see the harm in the names myself, but do know it can be misleading to the general public ie. them thinking its a proper "breed".
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 09:21 PM
I wonder why no-one's crossed a Bull Dog and a Shih Tzu??

The Ads would be great - Bullshiht £???? :BLUSH:

It all comes down to supply and demand, if people didn't buy then .. . . .
Jofelicia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2011, 09:54 PM
I have a 'jug'. He is a lovely dog but no more than a JRT in a pug body! Looking back we probably got him for the wrong reasons but are glad we did. I always wanted a pug but couldn't afford one so got a cross that still cost a bit.

We never call him a jug though, he's just a mongrel to us really!!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2