Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah0126
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2009, 06:37 PM

Cooking.... not the best!

Hi all,

I thought i'd share my frustrations with you as I have once again put too many gravy granules in to the stew, this is the 3rd one i've made since it started feeling wintery and every time it ends up too thick, i know what your thinking just put more water in but the pot is full to the brim....get a bigger pot then lol. Any body else have cooking nightmares and what goes in your stew?
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Yeh i usually do that with soup, make it too thick then try to water it down and make it too watery!!

As for stew thats one of my faves! I usually make it when there's loads of bits of pieces that need using up and then serve it in homemade giant yorkshire puddings!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Gravy Granules in stew? Doesn`t it stop it cooking properly? I thicken at the end if needed - it rarely does.
You can use cornflour to thicken, or puree some of the veg (at the end) - or add pearl barley & other pulses to the stew to make it really hearty, then it`ll thicken itself.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2009, 07:04 PM
I use gravy granules in stew!
Doesn't stop it cooking at all!

I like it really thick though! Good with dumplins
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Gravy Granules in stew? Doesn`t it stop it cooking properly? I thicken at the end if needed - it rarely does.
You can use cornflour to thicken, or puree some of the veg (at the end) - or add pearl barley & other pulses to the stew to make it really hearty, then it`ll thicken itself.
Euuuckkk. Sorry can't stand pearl barley
I use gravy granules but then I like my stew so thick you can stand the spoon up in it.
I always make stew after having chicken. I boil the carcus to make the stock then add all the veg, stew it up then thicken.
Oooooo yummy, I want a stew now.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2009, 07:16 PM
When I make stews I usually make from previos days leftover beef or lamb joint plus whatever gravy is left over from the meat juices I put that with veggies enough water to cover, then add gravy granules when cooked allow to thicken................never failed yet
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 08:41 AM
I use potatoes for thickening, I brown the meat, then add veg, usually carrot, onion, leek and anything else that is left over and cut about 5 potatoes up quite small and let it simmer I add 2 oxo's for colour and a splash of Worcester sauce, then when the meat is cooked I add more potatoes cut into bigger chunks and let them cook off. I rarely have to thicken!!!!
Hope this helps
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 08:53 AM
another useful tip for thickening is using self raising flour mixed with a little marg into bread crumbs and sprinkled over the stew whilst cooking (near the end of cooking time) I use this way after my dumplings are near to cooked, if the gravy is still thin. It works better than making the gravy thick from the start.

Good stew cooking
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 06:45 PM
I prefer the Bisto powder stuff you get, or cornflour. Don't like the granules at all, they taste funny to me for some reason.

We use stout, bay leaves, meat of whatever sort, carrots, turnip and hubby will put sausages in as well cause the kids prefer it that way.

My granny used to tell me that stew was supposed to coat your ribs so having it thick as far as I'm concerned is normal If you cannae stand yer spoon up in it it's not stoo

I just made a huge pan of lentil soup too, just lovely!
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by lore View Post
I prefer the Bisto powder stuff you get, or cornflour. Don't like the granules at all, they taste funny to me for some reason.

We use stout, bay leaves, meat of whatever sort, carrots, turnip and hubby will put sausages in as well cause the kids prefer it that way.

My granny used to tell me that stew was supposed to coat your ribs so having it thick as far as I'm concerned is normal If you cannae stand yer spoon up in it it's not stoo

I just made a huge pan of lentil soup too, just lovely!
Ive just made a pan of lentil soup as well
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >