Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chickadeedeedee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2007, 09:53 PM

I was bored the other day .....

...... but not for long. An unusual experience, to say the least, 'round home. Ho hum. What to do? What to do?

Hmmmmmm. I could do some alterations on jeans and slacks that have been waiting for ages. How domestic of me ... I know.

So I get out the sewing needles, threads, straight pins, clothes ... all that good ol' wholesome stuff. I'm shortening the length for the slacks and dropped a straight pin. Who is at my side to pick the pin up? Yep! Daisy! Dear sweet Daisy picked up the pin and ate it!

Eeeeekkkkk !

I gave her a blueberry bagel to eat. The theory being the needle may stick in the bread rather in her dog stomach. That's the theory any way. So while Daisy is being rewarded for eating a pin, Mike is trying to find some hydrogen peroxide 3% to make Daisy puke the pin.

~~SIGH~~ No peroxide. Now I remember. We used it up when we needed to make her puke up a steak bone she stole a while back. Mike goes to the drugstore to get the peroxide. He was gone not more than 10 minutes. Surely it is not a difficult task to buy a bottle of stuff down the road.

Why is he grinning?

He has a bottle of peroxide in a plastic bag. Oh. Oh. He has a box too!

Not *quite* sure if I want to know what is in the box ... but I asked. The reply?

A squirrel!

On the way to the drugstore there was a squirrel in the street, laying on his belly but looking dead so Mike drove on to his destination. On the return trip the squirrel's position had changed. Although still on his belly he was closer to the side of the road. What could Mike do? He stopped and picked up the semiconscious squirrel and put it in a box that we have in the car for just such an occasion.

So. Who wants to make Daisy puke up a pin and who wants to treat the squirrel?

Mike had the squirrel on a towel on the kitchen table while I gave Daisy 36 ml. of peroxide by mouth and then we were playing in the hall for a few minutes to get the peroxide nice and foamy in her dog belly.

Meanwhile, back to the squirrel ... He was having trouble breathing so Mike shaved the squirrel's side a little and withdrew about 4.0cc of air from the chest. That's a lot of air for someone so small! OK. Mr. Squirrel is breathing better and is moving a little now.

Good! All 4 legs move as well as his tail. He doesn't appear to have anything broken but has a bloody nose and a concussion. Mike gets some SoluDelta Cortef, which is a steroid and very good for treating shock, and drew up some in an insulin syringe because the needle is about the right size for squirrel IV-ing.

Meanwhile, the Daisy drama continues....She is a puking! Dog food. Bits of catnip toys. Bread. Blueberry bagel. Milk. Foam. There are so many places to vomit here that are not covered by a rug or carpeting but Daisy never once in all the rounds of vomiting, hit bare floor!

Many people, or so I hear, spend their leisure time, roasting marshmallows or doing jigsaw puzzles. Me? I wear latex gloves, sit on the carpet or rug next to the newest deposit of fresh dog vomit and go through it carefully to find the missing pin. I've searched through 4 loads of vomit and there is NO pin!

Disheartened, I help Mike with his patient and he gives the IV injection in the squirrel's arm. I'm not sure if the injection was finished but that squirrel sure started to move! FAST! He woke up, scampered off the kitchen table and up the curtains! There he was chattering at us in a most annoyed tone .. flicking his tail the whole time!

Daisy, hearing the commotion comes into the kitchen to offer her assistance.

So now we have a squirrel loose in the kitchen and the dog is going crazy, still with a pin inside of her. I am resigned to the notion that once Mr. Squirrel is captured, we'll need to take Daisy to the hospital to get x-rays and find where her pin is. Maybe I can use my endoscope and just take it out that way. Oooooooh. That would be nice!

Maybe we'll let the squirrel calm down and I'll start packing up the endoscope. Mike starts getting some bits of fruit and seed mix to entice the squirrel down from the curtain rod. Daisy stops her dancing around and needs to vomit once again.

HOORAY! There it is! The final vomiting effort brought forth the much sought after straight pin!

The squirrel started his way down the curtain and Mike scooped him up in a thick towel. We have a puppy crate which was purchased to house a seagull we picked up around the corner from the Cleveland Clinic several years ago. (Yeah. I know. Another story.) So, Mr. Now Very Alert and Active Squirrel was placed into his new accommodations with fruits, seeds, nuts, water and some soft bedding.

If he continues to look as good as he does now, he will be released in the backyard tomorrow. (If it isn't raining.)

Now that was more like the normal routine here in the craziness we call home.

The squirrel was released the following morning and was doing well emptying the bird feeders of seeds.

~~~~~~~~ The End~~~~~~~~

Won't complain about being bored again!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2007, 11:51 PM
What a mad house you run!!!
Thanks for sharing, brilliant tale.
Chickadeedeedee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2007, 12:32 AM
LOL! I think it runs ME! LOL!
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 12:39 AM
Wow couldnt get bored at your house + isnt that typical you try to do something then all of a sudden everything goes nuts did you manage to do your sewing in the end ?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-01-2007, 12:42 AM
Hi CD3 I am please the squirrel made it and Daisy of course
Chickadeedeedee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2007, 03:00 AM
Hi all.

It really isn't *THAT* crazy here all the time. That was an exceptional day! LOL! May it never happen again. The sewing waits for another day.

We saw the squirrel the other day. He seems to be OK and his fur is growing back. Soon we won't be able to tell which one is 'our' squirrel.

C3D
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-01-2007, 06:23 AM
What a great tale, so glad all concerned were ok in the end
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-01-2007, 06:30 AM
Sounds like a fun time.... anything exciting planned for today??
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 06:46 AM
See? This is what you get for trying to be domestic. You should have just put your feet up! You'll know for next time, I guess!
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 07:04 AM
Yep!!! should have just put your feet up with a cup of tea..... great story though.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >