Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Clarey83
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-05-2014, 03:51 PM

Recommendations on- Dog cooling coat

Hi!
I am after a cooling coat/jacket/vest for my dog. He really feels the heat when the sun's on his back as he is dark coated but my working hours mean I can only give him his main walk of the day between 11:30 and 5 on a week day... the hottest part of the day!

As they all seem so expensive I was after recommendations, from people(well, dogs) who have tried them so I know its worth the investment!

How long does it stay cool? How well does it fit? Does dog seem happier in it etc?

Many thanks x
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2014, 04:46 PM
I didn't even know you could get such a thing so I Googled them.
This might help;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B004ZL0ES8
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-05-2014, 04:59 PM
I always have an old towel and a bottle of water with me when I take Pereg out, but have been advised that it is as important to keep her throat and chest cool as it is her back.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-05-2014, 05:13 PM
I always found it was the dogs undercarriage that they were most intent on cooling down. They'd jump in the lake and wade out until their bellies are submerged let out a big sigh and venture no further. They never seemed bothered by having a hot back tbh. I carry a water bottle but try to always walk either in woods with streams etc or an area of open water such as a lake or reservoir.
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2014, 08:08 PM
I have a Ruffwear swamp cooler jacket for Esau, it seems to really help him; he's a lot more active during hot-weather walks with the jacket on, but you must keep it wet. I carry a spare bottle of water and check every 10-15 mins or so that he's still nice and cool under the jacket and it's not drying out. It does wrap under the chest as well as over the back so make sure you make the chest-part damp as well. It seems to be much more effective than just a wet towel (which seems to act like a sauna, it just makes him hot and damp!).
Clarey83
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-05-2014, 03:46 PM
Thanks for your replies!
My dog hates water, won't even walk through a puddle Lol! That's why I was thinking cooling jacket as they don't get wet, just the coat does.

He has a white neck and chest, and white feet. But his dark brindle body gets red hot and he pants a lot. I always offer him water to drink but I would like him to have a more comfortable walk.

I drape a wet towel over him in the garden but they dry too quickly... Plus he gets up and shakes it off!
Think I might just have to go for one and see how he gets on, I can report back then.