View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

25-06-2012, 08:05 PM
it sounds more like the flu than the cold - you have a youngster at home so you need to go to the doctor tomorrow
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
The cold is a viral infection I'm afraid that you cannot change or speed up your immune systems ability to to get rid of it through taking vitamin c etc. All you can do is help relieve the symptoms with decongestants and painkillers.
That reminds me i have some nose spray (probably gone off)!

Will i still be contagious 3/4 days into it?
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
it sounds more like the flu than the cold - you have a youngster at home so you need to go to the doctor tomorrow
I haven't even got us registered with the doctors yet in our new home, eek!
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Why would you see a doctor for the cold? The doctor can't do anything for you other than advise what i already said. It's not flu. If you had flu you wouldn't be on here typing you would be in bed unable to move.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

25-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Why would you see a doctor for the cold? The doctor can't do anything for you other than advise what i already said. It's not flu. If you had flu you wouldn't be on here typing you would be in bed unable to move.
not necessarily - if you remember the swine flu outbreak a lot of people barely noticed they had it - very young children and very old people are vulnerable and she is in contact with both - better to be diagnosed so that if these people are affected the diagnosis for them is more rapid
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 08:13 PM
As a general rule cold viruses are contagious for as long as you are showing symptoms.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
not necessarily - if you remember the swine flu outbreak a lot of people barely noticed they had it - very young children and very old people are vulnerable and she is in contact with both - better to be diagnosed so that if these people are affected the diagnosis for them is more rapid
So now anyone who has vague cold like symtoms should be tested for swine flu?? Come on! This is why im not a GP
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

25-06-2012, 08:25 PM
the differences between cold and flu are the speed of onset and the degree of aches and pains, often combined with the severity of the illness and length of suffering

most people that have flu don't even realise. most people that have colds complain of the flu and it's not as flu is not as common

however, people on contact with vulnerable people and who are suffering badly should see the doctor as the vulnerable people, if deemed at risk, can be treated with tamiflu which reduces the symptoms
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Dogsey web MD

Seriously though Akitagirl I had symptoms similar to yours, I left it thinking it was a cold. It wasnt it was tonsilitis and a sinus infection and I did need to see a Dr in the end. Not trying to scare you though
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Most people that have the flu don't realise they have the flu!?!? Are you serious?
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >