Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Oh I do sympathise, she sounds just like my mum
I've actually refused to get married as I can visualise the arguments, her trying to take over etc.and I really can't be bothered with it.

I decided a long time ago she would not reduce me to tears again with her scathing comments and attitude, the worst thing is I know it's all because she can't control my life anymore!!

Instead she, just like your mum should be proud that she's raised a capable, independant woman that's generally happy with her life cos in the end that's all that matters isn't it??

I would take the photo's and show your nan and if your mum doesn't ask - don't show her.
p.s. I saw your wedding piccies on here and they were lovely just about a perfect day I think, so don't take any other remarks your mum may make to heart

Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Oh, L.....

I agree with your OH.

Personally, I'd keep right out of it and let them get on with it.....it's not your problem, it's theirs.

They're all the adults they're ever going to be....

xx
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Love the name
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys xxx

I went! I shouldn't have!

My sister and her fella talked me into it the evening before. I wanted to see my sister, and I wanted to see my nanna, and that was a pleasure.

Unfortunately my parents left the room when i got my wedding photos out to show my nanna. They've never asked/seen anything about the wedding to this day. They didn't ask after Paul, me or the baby. they don't even know the due date. They were cold, when i was talking about our baby's chosen name to my nanna my mum suggested another name , that was the only thing she mentioned about the baby. I went from actually feeling a little bit sorry for them and their problem, to upset and angry.

I've totally had it with them, at least that confirmed that.

To add to it my mum informed me she's selling a load of wedding stuff i bought for our wedding last year that fell through on ebay, something i've not got round to doing (it was stored in their garage) - including 8 massive birdcages I paid £250 for, presume she's pocketing the money.. I doubt it's to buy anything for the baby.

My parents aren't awful, they're decent, hard-working professionals, they don't drink, they look after themselves, they're doggy people! Yes, they're snobby but underneath this 'show' they were always good people. So why on earth they've turned into people like these i don't know.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Sorry to hear the latest

I don't think anyone would think that your parents are awful people at all but there is something about wedding pomp and etiquette that can turn even the most normal people a bit strange in their thinking.

Sorry you had such a bad time there.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 03:29 PM
I have just seen this... I am sorry things between you are parents didn't go great.

Sound very much like my dad and his gf, and although he is family; as they say you can choose your friends, not your family. As far as I am concerned I am old enough to make my own life, and face the mistakes myself. My OH said if we ever do get married, we will do it our way, and only let his side of the family in on it, as my dad I know will twist things as he has done all my life.

Not spoken to him since 2009 properly because I dropped out of uni due to not enjoying it, depsite me ringing and texting he wants very little to do with me.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Hi Lucie

I am really sorry to hear about your problems with your parents. You know, I had many problems with mine.

Unfortunately, my mum passed away last year, and I am really struggling without her. It has brought me and dad an awful lot closer.

The thing is here, your parents should grow up and start behaving like parents. They have brought up a wonderfully, strong, independant daughter who is now having a child of her own.

My son and his girlfriend are having a baby in 6 weeks time!!!!! I cannot wait!!!!

My mum would have loved being a great grandma!!!

I hope your mum and dad realize how important relationships with children are before its too late. Its their problem. They need to mend bridges. I am glad to hear that you went to their house at the weekend. At least you can say that you have tried.

I hope everything goes okay with your new addition to the family and that all three of you are okay. You will make wonderful parents.

Good luck & take Care of all three of you.

Debbie x
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Majuku, it certainly does, what is it about weddings and parents?!

Spockky boy, sorry to hear about your Dad, it's just not understandable, how can someone not bother with their own child?! It's a shame you have to keep the wedding quiet, awful really but if it's the easiest way I don't blame you. Just make sure you do exactly what you want for your big day.

Deb i'm so sorry to hear about your mum xxx Lovely news about your son! Big congratulations Thank you for your lovely words, i guess the next time we might see them, and see if they want to build bridges is when/if they choose to travel over and visit the baby when he arrives....(once we're home and after the settling in period with the dogs and the new addition - she can visit on MY terms from now on!)
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm sorry it didnt go too great when you saw your parents. They should feel ashamed of themselves.
Please don't let them get to you and hurt you anymore. Concentrate on yourself, you baby and the people that are there for you no matter what!
Your Mum doesn't a lovely daughter like you! xx
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Majuku, it certainly does, what is it about weddings and parents?!

Spockky boy, sorry to hear about your Dad, it's just not understandable, how can someone not bother with their own child?! It's a shame you have to keep the wedding quiet, awful really but if it's the easiest way I don't blame you. Just make sure you do exactly what you want for your big day.

Deb i'm so sorry to hear about your mum xxx Lovely news about your son! Big congratulations Thank you for your lovely words, i guess the next time we might see them, and see if they want to build bridges is when/if they choose to travel over and visit the baby when he arrives....(once we're home and after the settling in period with the dogs and the new addition - she can visit on MY terms from now on!)
Need to get OH to propose first (but from what he said it shouldn't be too long to wait ) but since my partners side of the family is a bit all over the place since his parents divorced end of last year, we agreed (in general) it best to keep it small and simple. I am not a people person either which definately helps!

My dad always uses my brother as a middle man (and I was a middle man when my mum was still around), he can be so childish. When I ask to speak to him he makes excuses like he is busy or watching TV... Ah well!
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >