Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Spookle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-10-2008, 06:36 PM

when to get neutered?

Hello

i am getting 2 8 week old puppies and want to get them neutered as soon as i can, when is the best age to get them done?

Thanx
Rachel x
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Your vet will be best to advise you, but I think it is about 6-9mths of age?

There are lots of knowledgable people on here that will be able to advise you much better than I!!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2008, 06:55 PM
I think it will depend on a lot of things....especially with what sex of pup you are getting. Obviously with a Dog and a Bitch you will need to look at getting one done a bit quicker (or having 3-4 weeks of musical dogs !)

If you are getting male litter mates I would leave it, then neuter the more sumbissive one (once that becomes obvious) and leave the other one...makes a nice big gap so you are less likely to get fights...with 2 bitches I'm not sure what I would do to be honest.
Spookle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Hi, we are getting 2 little boys as we deffo don't want any accidents with having one of each

Rachel x
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2008, 07:04 PM
another factor is breed.. some people recommend that large breeds mastiffs etc should only be done once they are fully grown. im getting mine done at 2 v earliest 18months. But its all based on opinions
Spookle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-10-2008, 07:10 PM
We are getting a Siberian husky and a Shih tzu.

Rachel x
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2008, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I think it will depend on a lot of things....especially with what sex of pup you are getting. Obviously with a Dog and a Bitch you will need to look at getting one done a bit quicker (or having 3-4 weeks of musical dogs !)

If you are getting male litter mates I would leave it, then neuter the more sumbissive one (once that becomes obvious) and leave the other one...makes a nice big gap so you are less likely to get fights...with 2 bitches I'm not sure what I would do to be honest.
This is what I would do also. You may find you don't need to neuter either of them (as long as you can be sure neither will get out and try to procreate!). But if the two start to fight for "dominance" then you just need to neuter the most submissve one.

HTH
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2008, 05:21 AM
I always now get my boys done at 6 months old. I have always found this is the best time and over the years have never had any problems doing it this way.
You sound very responsible and are at least going to make sure should any accidents happen your boys will not add to the unwanted puppy numbers.
Have a chat with your vet when you take them for thier checks and first vaccinations they will guide you.
I wish you good luck with your babies I think your very brave taking on two pups at the same time.
My two have 3 months between them and they are a large and a small breed of dog.
My small breed is the older but one word of warning it will be very tough trying to keep two different size dogs safe during play. As they grow you have to be so careful that the big one does not jump on and seriously injure with thier weight the small breed..
Mine are both 3yrs old now and I still seperate them when I go out so one can't accidentally be hurt by the big one jumping on them if they have a game and I supervise very carefully all play.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Excellent post from Madmare,

We have had a couple of posts on here from absolutely desperate owners who have had one large and one small dog, and the larger one has killed the smaller one by accident so please consider separating them or crating one or both when you go out.

Also, I don't have a lot of experience with male dogs to be honest, but I've spoken to a few owners who've wished they'd had their boys done earlier. When they get to the adolescent stage, their pom poms can become a problem - sometimes they don't, sometimes they do - and then, they learn from the behaviour that they exhibit, largely because of the presence of their pom poms.

Once neutered, it calms the behaviour a little bit, but they've learned from it and it's become something that neutering doesn't solve. Easier, imo - to avoid it in the first place.

Like I said, I don't have first hand experience of this. I have a rescue that was neutered at 6 months and he has aggression problems, but it's down to his upbringing before I got him.
Brainless
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I always now get my boys done at 6 months old. I have always found this is the best time and over the years have never had any problems doing it this way.
You sound very responsible and are at least going to make sure should any accidents happen your boys will not add to the unwanted puppy numbers.
Have a chat with your vet when you take them for thier checks and first vaccinations they will guide you.
I wish you good luck with your babies I think your very brave taking on two pups at the same time.
My two have 3 months between them and they are a large and a small breed of dog.
My small breed is the older but one word of warning it will be very tough trying to keep two different size dogs safe during play. As they grow you have to be so careful that the big one does not jump on and seriously injure with thier weight the small breed..
Mine are both 3yrs old now and I still seperate them when I go out so one can't accidentally be hurt by the big one jumping on them if they have a game and I supervise very carefully all play.
There are many long term effects of neutering and many of them negative.

this article http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf gives and overview, and on balance it would seem there are more negatives than positives in neutering males.

If responsibly kept no male or female should add to unwanted puppy numbers.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >