Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tobyx
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-09-2008, 10:40 PM

Ear scratching

Toby our staffy/JRT cross is scratching his ears again, when we first got him from rescue, we took him to the vets for it and he prescribed VIRBAC epiOtic ear cleaner and some drops to be put in, this cleared it up.
6 weeks later...........
He then started scratching in his ears with his back paw then sniffing his paw, licking it and the scratching in his ears again.
Vet gave the same stuff, cleared up and now 2 months later he is back doing the same again.
I'm now quite familier with his ears, after using the cleaner and ear buds frequently.
There is no deris or excessive wax and no reddness in the ears, so why does he do it????
tobyx
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Nobody???
BrightPaws
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Hi
it sounds like an ear infection to me - when you get the medication from the vets do you finish the full dose etc.

Otherwise maybe it could be allergies? My OScar has this and it affects his ears from time to time however there is normaly redness on the inside of his ear when this is the case
Diamond
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Our young Elkhound has had a problem with ears... each episode almost a year apart... the vet called it otitis... he kept scratching his ears and shaking his head, first time was quite bad. I had to take him to the vets out of hours in the end as he wouldn't settle and was obviously very uncomfortable... luckily he is insured as the vets out of hours charge was £100 before he even looked at him.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Hi Stephen did your vet say what was causing the problem? If it is ear mites (otodectes a common problem in dogs )you dog could keep getting reinfected. do you have other pets, they can be carriers.
Leema
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2008, 11:01 AM
It seems your vet is choosing to treat the symptons instead of the underlying problem. I'd ask the vet what is causing this and their suggestions for fixing the cause... if there are no suggestions, I would seek another vet.
tobyx
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks for all your replies and suggestions, i got some drops for ears mites and it seems to have stopped him.
As said with there being no reddness in the ears i was kinda puzzled that it could be an infection
tonifletcher
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2008, 12:00 PM
hi
my mums staff suffers really bad with problems with his ears he always has a reallystrong smell just b4 he starts to sratch the vet always says his is ear infections but he suffers every few mths she just gets givn drops and cream which will clear it for around 4mths then hes of again ithis common for staffs?
lilbear
New Member!
Female 

09-10-2008, 01:04 PM
if it's mites, then the vet can actually see them. Sounds more likely to be a yeast infection, or an allergy. My bassett suffers the same. There are regular flare-ups, but an all-natural diet (no processed food at all) & bi-weekly cleaning, seems to keep it to a minimum. If it is an allergy, it's almost a licence to print money for the vet, as the tests can go on forever & most likely will be inconclusive, or an allergy to something like 'house dust'.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2008, 01:09 PM
google

thornit powder

fantastic you will never look back .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >