View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-06-2006, 08:55 PM

Barking and not what your thinking either! (How to encourage/teach barking?)

How can i teach Vegas to bark???

Sounds odd i know and perhaps some people may envy me cause Vegas is so damn quiet,but even when the doorball rings-he dont make a sound!

He does occasionally bark,but more often than not-it comes out a bit squeaky sounding and dont really suit his looks! Earlier on though,there were 2 hot air balloons in the sky and he ran out into the garden-then started barking deeply! I quickly grabbed some treats from kitchen and everytime he barked at the balloons-i really made a fuss of him,said 'speak' then gave him a biccy when he barked at balloons again so perhaps he would make the connection

But that was it..........no more barking.

Any ideas???

I must add though that Vegas does howl when he wants something and this noise does kinda go right through ya like nails down a blackboard...
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2006, 08:59 PM
Well I must say Steve, I have never heard of that problem before - are you sure he's not part Basenji cos they don't bark do they I know a good way of getting him to bark - get another dog When they bark he will follow suit - I think
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2006, 09:01 PM
I would just continue what you were doing Steve, that's how I got my dogs to bark.

Alternatively do something that really winds them up, that way when they do bark you're their ready with the treats!

And yes I am very very envious of you, am currently looking after a dog that barks CONSTANTLY when he's not getting attention.

I've taken to reading a newspaper in the bathroom like a man, just to get some peace!
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2006, 09:04 PM
wow Steve... he just doesn't look the 'squeaky' bark type!! You did right encouraging him to bark at the balloons and saying the 'speak' command...funny thing to bark at though wonder what else will take his fancy??
Although do you really want him to bark?????you could create a monster
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-06-2006, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Well I must say Steve, I have never heard of that problem before - are you sure he's not part Basenji cos they don't bark do they I know a good way of getting him to bark - get another dog When they bark he will follow suit - I think
I wish it was that simple Foxy.He was playing with my sisters 2 Boxers earlier and they are very vocal,but Vegas stays quiet.Lola and Zeb are forever barking/play growling,but Vegas is like a mute compared to them!
mustards mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-06-2006, 09:09 PM
My boy is the most vocal dog I've ever heard, just barking for attention but also generally always making a noise unless he has been asked to settle or is asleep!!

He doesn't really bark when someone is at the door though, it's just how he "talks" with us.

My old boy wasn't a barker at all and I didn't hear a peep out of him until he was about 6 months old then he let out a bark and shocked himself so much he did a back flip

After that I taught him to bark with a "burgulars" sic command, every time he did the smallest noise I said "burgulars" and gave him lots of praise. That worked to get him to bark on command but he was never much of a barker otherwise.

To be honest Steve you are lucky, it's much easier to teach a dog to bark than it is to teach one to stop imo
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
I would just continue what you were doing Steve, that's how I got my dogs to bark.

Alternatively do something that really winds them up, that way when they do bark you're their ready with the treats!

And yes I am very very envious of you, am currently looking after a dog that barks CONSTANTLY when he's not getting attention.

I've taken to reading a newspaper in the bathroom like a man, just to get some peace!
lol-you cant tease him with treats Rip cause he'll either jump up and take it out of your hands if you take too long or just sit there and blow bubbles with saliva...
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Het
wow Steve... he just doesn't look the 'squeaky' bark type!! You did right encouraging him to bark at the balloons and saying the 'speak' command...funny thing to bark at though wonder what else will take his fancy??
Although do you really want him to bark?????you could create a monster
Abe used to bark at the hot air balloons too Het-they are launched only a few miles away so often see them about in the summer months and are pretty spectacular when low in the sky!

I do want him to bark though Het,but he just wont have it.Howling-yes-he is kinda the master at this,but it too is a bit squeaky sounding.The peeps at rehoming shelter said he might have a complex!
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Yep i think you did right how you are starting steve, i taugh dougal how to talk, but it wouldnt be the best way for some dogs. I taught it by he was in his cage at a show and he was wooing (wheatens woo lol) at me for my attention and after a while he barked and i let him out of the cage (which as you might notice i wouldnt advise it as it could teach them to bark to be let out of the cage and you would have a problem) But dougal was really good an he doesnt bark to be let out. Anyway now he will do it when i say 'what do u say' I just kept on practsing with him and rewarded him when he did it. A good idea it to teach him a hand signal, so when dougal speaked i opend my arms wide and now he will do it without me sayin anything. I use it for him in the show ring as it makes him all flashy and 'look at me'
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Problem is Sarah-Vegas is either stubbourn as a mule or he just dont wanna learn!

Even after almost 12 months-he stillwont lay down on command and only does it when i hold a treat infront of his nose then lead it to ground.

The main problem with encouraging him to bark is catching him doing it to use as a bench mark so i can reward and praise him & he can associate bark=treat.

The only time Vegas barks is when he sees an Akita,but he dont like them so not an ideal teaching assistant!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >