Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 11:10 AM

I'd forgotten what it was like

to just go out and actually enjoy walking the dog. No worrying about whether we're going to see another dog, no constant scanning of the horizon to make a quick get away if necessary. No battle to hang on to a lunging dog who's out for blood while hoping to god that the other dogs owner isn't a moron. No suddenly darting down side streets because there's a dog 5 miles away and it's heading in our direction.

I don't think I really realised just HOW stressful walking Rupert was until now. Or just how much I've missed getting out and about with a dog. Poor Rupe, he missed out on some lovely walks but taking him on them would have been so stressful for both of us
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 11:27 AM
I can imagine!

I see a lady with a GWP who is very reactive and DA and I know how upsetting it is for her, having to dart and dive everywhere and constantly scan the horizon. When I've spoken to her when she hasn't got the dog she has said how it has basically ruined dog ownership for her, which is a shame.

Anyway, you deserve a break! enjoy those nice walks.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 11:43 AM
I understand Sarah, it's similar for me when I am walking the dogs over at Dogs Trust.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Oh I'm so happy for you! I often say "I remember the days when dog walking was as simple as putting a lead on a dog and just going! Where have those days gone?!" enjoy your walkies, long may it last
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Oh I'm so happy for you! I often say "I remember the days when dog walking was as simple as putting a lead on a dog and just going! Where have those days gone?!" enjoy your walkies, long may it last
Same here, Sadie is a dream to walk, compared to Louie - who just has to say hello to everyone and Benjie who just wants to have a go at everyone. I often say I have 2 extremes and one just right!

Enjoy your walks Sarah, You deserved it and I'm sure Rupe won't mind you enjoying them either
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
to just go out and actually enjoy walking the dog. No worrying about whether we're going to see another dog, no constant scanning of the horizon to make a quick get away if necessary. No battle to hang on to a lunging dog who's out for blood while hoping to god that the other dogs owner isn't a moron. No suddenly darting down side streets because there's a dog 5 miles away and it's heading in our direction.

I don't think I really realised just HOW stressful walking Rupert was until now. Or just how much I've missed getting out and about with a dog. Poor Rupe, he missed out on some lovely walks but taking him on them would have been so stressful for both of us
I know the feeling...it was like that with Teagan
I miss her every day, but I don't miss the walks unless on the beach at 1am!

The pups are great...harness them up and off we go - anywhere!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks all. Not doing too much with Luisa just yet as I'm not sure what sort of exercise she's used to but we've been to the man eating nettle field and followed the path instead of heading off into the wilderness

she has said how it has basically ruined dog ownership for her
It does in some ways. Walking them is such a big part of ownership and when you dread doing it it takes a lot of the pleasure out of having a dog. I miss Rupert terribly around the house but walking him was never enjoyable like it was with Shadow and Wolf.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 01:01 PM
i think you have earned a break and tbh it makes you a better dog walker as you are more aware of other dogs on lead and the possible reasons for it, so it makes you a more dare I say respectful dog owner.

I have to say when it comes to that time with Bruno I don't know if I would take on another dog aggressive staffie... But then if I didn't they might not get another home.... its so hard isn't it !

However you enjoy it I think you have earned the right to.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 01:38 PM
I'm thinking Luisa is here to stay then?
Enjoy her. I'm sure you still miss Rupert but you've earned the break. Sounds like it was meant to be. Hope things continue to go well, I'm sure they will
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 01:45 PM
As long as we pass the home check she's here to stay. She seems a fantastic little dog, ticks the boxes in everything but size and her being smaller than what we would have preferred is no big deal.

Brundog, I was kinda torn about not wanting a dog with issues because I didn't want to go through what I did with Rupert but then I also wanted to help one with problems because I know if it comes to it I can deal with a lot of things many others would give a dog up for.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >