Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2009, 06:55 AM

Barking (how to stop dog barking )

Hi, could anyone advise me what to do with my young dog, she is 8 months old and we have had her a week, whenever she hears a dog barking wether its outside or on TV she barks bag and its such a high pitched bark, is there anyway we can stop her doing this as i dont want the neighbours to get annoyed.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-04-2009, 07:35 AM
Hi Samantha you say you have only had your puppy for a week. Things will be very strange for her , you will probably find she will stop barking so much as she adjusts to her new surroundings and feels more secure.

Does she like toys, if so try distracting her when she barks with a squeaky toy. Best not to shout or your shouting may sound like barking and she may think you are joining in with her.

If you think she is still barking excessively after a few weeks when she has settled you can try teaching her to bark and shush on command . If you want to know how to do this just ask
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2009, 07:43 AM
Thanks for your advice that really helpful, we have been shouting at her so i will stop that and try and distract her with a squeaky toy as she loves playing.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Shouting at her wont help at all - she dosent speak english and all she is hearing is you barking back at her

Ben is a barker when someone comes to the door or we are going for a walk, whenever he barks I said 'speak' and in a short time he learnt that speak ment bark (its really usfull to recal my other dog when I cant shout)
It I had yelled 'shut up' he would have learnt to bark when I said those words

distraction and lots of rewards for being quiet as easier

and as Mini says - at the moment her world is totaly upside down, in a few weeks she may well be a different dog, but you are totaly strangers to her at the moment so I wouldnt shout at her or anything
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2009, 08:58 AM
I dont mind her barking if someone comes to the door as our other dog does that as well. How can i make her understand thats its ok to bark at someone at the door but not to bark when she hears another dog barking outside or on TV.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Instead of telling her off, try distracting her, get her to sit, offer her a treat, pick up a toy and play. Soon she will forget about it all as she gets used to the noise in the background.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2009, 08:02 PM
She might calm down with time
and distraction is good
What I have been sloooowly working on is a quiet command

As I said above I taught the 'speak' command by saying it when he was barking, now I am getting him to speak and rewarding, then saying 'quiet' and rewarding before he gets a chance to bark - is going to take a while tho!!
leaho
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-04-2009, 06:56 PM
I have just started doing that too. He barks on command now when I say 'speak'. Then I say 'shush' and he gets a treat because he's quiet - but I'm not sure whether he really knows this is why he's getting a treat! Will keep working on it and hopefully he will get it and shush when I tell him to mid bark!