Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2017, 08:50 AM

Looking for a vet who approves of raw feeding

My 12 month old raw fed English Springer has been "off colour" for a few days now. He has loose stools ( sometimes runny), and although he is happy to race about as usual during his hour and a quarter long walk in the mornings, he is sleeping for the rest of the day - very out of character! The thing that's worrying me is that he's not enthusiastic about his meals any more- sometimes refusing food altogether. Instinct tells me to take him to the vet, but their mantra is always "don't ever feed raw". I don't want to be lectured on my choice of feeding! Does anyone know of a website that lists vets who support raw feeding? I've tried googling with little success. Many thanks!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-01-2017, 10:04 AM
if you are worried about your dog then take him to the vet, regardless of their feelings towards raw feeding, they are there to treat your dog not comment on your feeding regime.

Whether your dog is fed on kibble or raw it wont stop the vet doing blood work and giving your boy a thorough examination.

Make it clear to your vet you do not want their advice on feeding, you have brought your dog to the vet because he is not himself.

If you are still not happy with said vet change, to another , but I would not change just because they don`t agree with raw feeding if you are happy otherwise.

If we all tried to find a vet that approved of everything we do with our dogs, we be looking for ever.

My dogs entire, most vets don`t approve, and will try to get you to spay/neuter , I just tell them no thanks and get on with the appointment in hand.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-01-2017, 10:06 AM
Google Nick Thompson, he's in Bath I think. He is really helpful and supports raw feeding
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

04-01-2017, 10:45 AM
My vet doesn't approve of Raw feeding either but he knows I've done my research, that I want the best for my dogs and sees the evidence that they've come to no harm. He knows it's not up for debate.
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2017, 07:19 PM
Many thanks everyone for your advice and support!
It's good to know l'm not alone with the raw feeding, and shouldn't feel guilty going to my vet who "doesn't approve".
I'll get him checked out tomorrow.
Thanks too for the info about vet in Bath. Not too far from me. I might investigate him for future use.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-01-2017, 07:36 PM
My vets blame every single thing on my raw feeding, apart from that I do like them, but can't be doing with the anti raw attitude.
I asked advice by e mail from Nick Thompson a while ago and he replied to me straight away and came up with suggestions and help. Never knew me from Adam, and never asked for money or anything.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2017, 08:38 PM
For me, a vet who s anti raw and in particular anti bone is a vet who is ignorant of a dog's wild ancestry, and therefore is a vet who I will not consider using. When we had Hal, back in the 90's and he became very ill due to feeding him kibble, I told our vet what we had decided upon and
her attitude was extremely sensible. She said raw feeding is absolutely fine, Aindeed it is the best ... BUT!! You absolutely must do it properly, and this was back in the days before the internet had taken off and Landywoods, Albion etc. did not exist. She was quite right, it was hard to do back then, but now it is not - if you have a freezer, it is easy peasy. So in my opinion for a vet to be anti raw, anti bone in today's modern times means the vet is ignorant and therefore best avoided.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

04-01-2017, 08:45 PM
Well my vet is excellent and I have no intentions of changing him, he listens, asks pertinent questions and knows I prefer conservative treatment. Vets are not really trained in nutrition so for me I find it easy to over rule him where nutrition is concerned. It doesn't affect his clinical judgement.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2017, 08:51 PM
Agreed but I think it is appalling that vets have so little training in nutrition. Nutrition is the most important thing for any species, and for them to display such a level of ignorance about the most basic yet most important element of any animal husbandry is in my mind totally unacceptable. I see where you are coming from re clinical judgement, but nutrition is SO important that it cannot surely be ignored? Take the example of a wound that is failing to heal after an operation - it is becoming infected. Poor nutrition results in a poor immune system, a poor immune system can very easily lead to serious complications. The old adage we are what we eat is so true.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-01-2017, 09:07 PM
I mentioned to my vet that I was giving Lona Manuka honey, when he commented how quickly her mouth and her wound healed, and he sort of shrugged it off. Next vet I saw to have her stitches out was Swedish or something like that, and he was very impressed when I told him about the Manuka honey, after he too commented how well she'd healed, and made encouraging noises. Just shows how different the thought patterns are between vets. Having said that, the vet who did the op couldn't have done better, the wound was tiny where he did the spay and he acted promptly on the situation in her mouth, so really I just have to take stuff in my stride and know that vets get so little nutrition education during their training, canines is half a day I believe, and sponsered by a dog food manufacturer. It is very obvious to me on many occasions that I do know more than my vets about quite a lot of things, but I keep my mouth shut, which is very difficult for me, but I do it!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >