Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nat888
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-05-2008, 04:22 PM

Advice for beginner.

Hi,
I am showing by 8 month old Lab puppy. She is black. any idea on the best sort of collar and lead to show her in and how best to stack her the ringcraft class i attend don't seem to be too knowledgeable on gundogs.
thanks
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Hi Nat,

I would show her on a black rope slip lead. I wouldn't worry about stacking her. Labs are normally freestood. Just practice standing her in front of you. Have some bait or a discreet toy to keep her attention. Above all, make it fun

Debs
nat888
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
Hi Nat,

I would show her on a black rope slip lead. I wouldn't worry about stacking her. Labs are normally freestood. Just practice standing her in front of you. Have some bait or a discreet toy to keep her attention. Above all, make it fun

Debs
Thanks i had no idea that they were normally freestood.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Yes definitely freestood, I've started showing Labs this year for a friend who goes mob-handed so needs a hand some ringcraft trainers don't know - when I started with Dallies I was told to stack them and found that not only was this incorrect, but some judges would mark me down very harshly for doing it. My friend shows her black and chocolate labs on black fine leather show slips, yellows on a light brown version.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Hi there I would go for a leather slip lead - if you search for show lead on google you should find some options.

But have heard that this supplier do a nice range - go to collars and leads - show lead - I have a 20" for my Setter but sometimes this is a tad long - perhaps you could go to a champ show and pick one up as you can 'try before you buy'!

http://www.luxwaycanine.com/products.asp?cat=110
But as you probably need soon!

As said Labs are freestood but unfortunately as I have a stacked breed not sure how you work on this! Hopefully someone can give you some pointers!

Perhaps searching for a ringcraft that has some more experience on gundogs might be an idea ?

Does you dogs breeder show - could you ask them for some tips?

Good luck and have fun!
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Teaching freestanding is easy if your dog is food orientated.

You'll need to either wear clothing with pockets, or buy or make a bait bag. All you need to do, is tempt the dog with the idea that you're going to give them a treat. Step back or forward to get the dog to move into the correct four square position, only give the treat if and when the dog is standing nicely. Resist the temptation to continually stuff the dog with food.

While the dog is standing, consentrating on you loosen the lead and allow it to drape low on the neck. The effect is wonderful.

Good luck.

Dawn R.