Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2012, 03:11 PM

Lens help

So....

New lens, looking mainly for action shots -

either -
Would a zoom of 135 be enough, or would 200 be better - still keeping the clarity.

I tend to use the 50mm f/1.8 constantly, as my other lens (which goes up to 300mm) does not give the same sharpness

....I have a Sony a700....
mrphilip
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Hi there = there's a lot you are not saying in your query.

I will pick up on some issues.

You are using your camera for action shots. Nothing wrong with that - but do you follow the item that is moving and hope it will be clear - or have the camera steady so the background is clear but the person/object is slightly blurred because of the action?

You state that your 300 mm lens does not give the same clarity. One of the problems with longer lenses is holding them absolutely steady. Do you use a tripod?

Another problem with lenses is the different qualities that different manufacturers work to. It's not just the length of the lens that is different.

I'm aware that this has raised some queries. If it were me - and it was me a few years ago when I renewed my camera - I would go to a local camera shop and talk to some of the sales people. There is likely to be at least one in the store who knows what he or she is selling.

Ask for their advice. You might be able to try out one or two lenses on your camera. Don't worry if you did not buy the camera there. It could easily have come as a present.

You might also be surprised at local prices. The internet is not always the cheapest place to buy!!

Hope that helps

Michael
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2012, 06:14 AM
i'm presuming we're talking action shots of the dogs? prsonally i would always go for longer with the dogs as i don't want to be on top of them, i have found that when i use my 135 they're just specs