Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
SB I was talking about myself and what I want and do
In my first post i never mentioned other people at all and in my 2nd only to say some not all put pressure on

Personally in other things i am competative, i was mearly making the point that I am not in the sport i choose to do with my dog because i feel it would be to the detriment of my bond with my dogIt is no comment on other people in any way - just on what i do
I am please to read that because of course many of us feel that the sport we choose to do with our dogs is to the BENEFIT of our bond with our dogs.

I certainly feel the bond I develop with my dogs whilst training and competing is tangible, not only to me but others; in fact many people have commented on this.

And of course we are/were not unique in this respect.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
See I can never understand attitudes like that of your trainer (although perhaps I can it was dog envy and frustration from her part).

What people want to do with their dogs is entirely up to them.

If they want to compete or not and what discipline if any they want to compete in.

So no, you have not "let her down", unless of course SHE had expectations of you?
Exactly!

The only time I have thought a dog had been wasted with an owner was when that owner HAD to have a pointing dog, with no interest in dogs, and ruined a good dog. If the dog has a good life, is well looking after, what does the dog care. A dog is hunting everytime it's going out on a walk, it might just not be hunting with you

I have made a million and one mistakes and I learn from those and move forward. Yes a good handler can make a good dog, and a poor handler can ruin one but ultimately, it depends what you want to do with that dog.

I think a major fault is if the owner, does not take into consideration what that dog has been bred, for generations, to do. A pointing dog is going to point, it's going to want to point. If that dog is happy pointing a bag, so be it, it's happy pointing. I have worked dogs who are desparate to point, you can see it in their whole behaviour, and I think, to not allow that, is where you seriously have to look at what you can give that dog.

I know what I am wanting to say lol

Helen
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Helen I think you have hit the nail on the head for me, as long as the dog is allowed to/encouraged to do what it's instincts/drive is telling it to do and harnessed in a way that is suitable I would assume that the dog is happy.
Cookie's biggest desire is to play tug with a toy and so this was his reward which allowed me to shape his behaviour and gain some control on his actions.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I am please to read that because of course many of us feel that the sport we choose to do with our dogs is to the BENEFIT of our bond with our dogs.

I certainly feel the bond I develop with my dogs whilst training and competing is tangible, not only to me but others; in fact many people have commented on this.

And of course we are/were not unique in this respect.
I really dont get the problem you have here
I have not commented on you are any individuals choice in training or whatever - I mearly stated my point of view with Ben

I have nothing against people who do well in their chosen hobby with their dog
I love to watch the champ agility runs, I avidly follow Slyvia Trckman and her dogs, I think they have an amazing bond and a great attitude

I was talking for ME personally - for me being competitive would not work, I would get stressed and not have fun
Yes plenty people manage to get to the top without detriment to their bond with their dog - I would really love you to point out where I said otherwise

Clearly my posts cause spontanious knotting up of your panties - but I fail to see your problem with me talking about my personal case

and have I failed my dogs by not getting them to the peak of whatever they could acheive
Not a jot - for them (and me) spending time together, running about and having fun, working together and having a good laugh - thats all they want - win loose or poop in the scribes tent - its all the same to them
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Exactly!

The only time I have thought a dog had been wasted with an owner was when that owner HAD to have a pointing dog, with no interest in dogs, and ruined a good dog. If the dog has a good life, is well looking after, what does the dog care. A dog is hunting everytime it's going out on a walk, it might just not be hunting with you

I have made a million and one mistakes and I learn from those and move forward. Yes a good handler can make a good dog, and a poor handler can ruin one but ultimately, it depends what you want to do with that dog.

I think a major fault is if the owner, does not take into consideration what that dog has been bred, for generations, to do. A pointing dog is going to point, it's going to want to point. If that dog is happy pointing a bag, so be it, it's happy pointing. I have worked dogs who are desparate to point, you can see it in their whole behaviour, and I think, to not allow that, is where you seriously have to look at what you can give that dog.

Helen
I agree. Owners should try to work WITH their dogs inherent instincts, rather than trying to suppress or ignore them. That doesn't necessarily mean doing herding with your collie (they could do agility instead), hunting with your terrier (he might be happy with a deep sandpit in the garden to dig up) or picking up with your spaniel (why not do scurries instead) - but it means taking a look at why the breed exists and aiming to fulfil some of the dog's natural desires.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 03:49 PM
I often thought Rupert would have been better off in many ways with a different owner. Obviously we didn't compete in anything (although I bet we'd have won any Most Neurotic Dog competition) but I think someone with more experience would have brought him along faster and more successfully than I did. But he didn't have a different owner, he had me and I know nobody could have loved him more.

Spen probably won't fulfil his full potential with me. He has the intelligence and desire to work at something yet he'll just be a pet who knows a lot of tricks and possibly does some sort of sport for fun. Maybe he wouldn't be any good as a gundog or a competition dog, I dunno. Either way, I don't really see that it matters as long as he's happy.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I really dont get the problem you have here
I have not commented on you are any individuals choice in training or whatever - I mearly stated my point of view with Ben

I have nothing against people who do well in their chosen hobby with their dog
I love to watch the champ agility runs, I avidly follow Slyvia Trckman and her dogs, I think they have an amazing bond and a great attitude

I was talking for ME personally - for me being competitive would not work, I would get stressed and not have fun
Yes plenty people manage to get to the top without detriment to their bond with their dog - I would really love you to point out where I said otherwise

Clearly my posts cause spontanious knotting up of your panties - but I fail to see your problem with me talking about my personal case

and have I failed my dogs by not getting them to the peak of whatever they could acheive
Not a jot - for them (and me) spending time together, running about and having fun, working together and having a good laugh - thats all they want - win loose or poop in the scribes tent - its all the same to them

I do not have a problem at all.

Why do you think I have a problem?

You stated your point of view, and I have stated mine.

I have not stated that you have said anything you have not, perhaps you could point that out.

If you wish to jump to (yet another) conclusiong by assuming that my panties are knotted by anything you say, or that I have a problem with your personal case that is your prerogative and no one can stop you.

An opinion does not = truth.

You are absolutely right, it matters not whether a dog qualifies, wins, loses as when I train or compete my dogs are having fun all the time.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Exactly!

Helen
I think you are absolutely right, so often people say I do not want a dog that (inserts relevant behaviour) but have gone out and bought a breed which was purposely BRED to demonstrate such behaviour!

Gotta larf.

These are the people who want to make their dog into something it is not and never will be and these are the dogs I feel very sorry for.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I often thought Rupert would have been better off in many ways with a different owner. Obviously we didn't compete in anything (although I bet we'd have won any Most Neurotic Dog competition) but I think someone with more experience would have brought him along faster and more successfully than I did. But he didn't have a different owner, he had me and I know nobody could have loved him more.

Spen probably won't fulfil his full potential with me. He has the intelligence and desire to work at something yet he'll just be a pet who knows a lot of tricks and possibly does some sort of sport for fun. Maybe he wouldn't be any good as a gundog or a competition dog, I dunno. Either way, I don't really see that it matters as long as he's happy.
Exactly, most dogs are happy with owners who love and care for them, as long as people are not trying to put square pegs into round holes.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Angie1966 View Post
This is an interesting thread.

I left the training club I had joined with Molly when she was barely 6 months old because the trainer was giving me a hard time for 'letting her down'. I asked him to explain himself as Molly was excelling in her obedience. He told me I should be training more extensively with the view of competing her in the future. I have no desire whatsoever to compete (got the Tshirt for that many many moons ago) and I explained that she was at an acceptable standard for what I wanted from her (sociable, well-mannered and obedient to basic commands).

He was quite disgusted and basically suggested that I didn't deserve her.

Molly has a wonderful life, she goes everywhere and does everything with me. We train and play regularly and I ensure that she is stimulated with new challenges often.

I definitely haven't fulfilled Molly's potential in respect of competing...........but have I let her down for not doing so? I don't think so.
No you definitely did not let her down.

If all dogs had such a lovely life there would be a lot more happy hounds.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >