View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 08:58 AM

How to perfect teaching a pup not to nip......

This is something I have been working on for a while with Jinty.

If she ever goes to chew part of us..... our hair, hands, fingers.... nose..... I offer her a toy and praise her for chewing that instead. We've been doing this for over a fortnight (didn't really happen much before) but still get the occasional nip or chew, especially when she is excited.

How can I reinforce the idea of 'no part of human in mouth' other than what I am doing?

Thanks!!

Ps, Ive also began using the clicker, she is alot more gentle taking treats now too
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 09:23 AM
I have a 9 week old golden retriever puppy and like all puppies she will mouth and nip, especially when she becomes excited. I look at it an exploratory process and I don't mind if my pup gently mouths me (but not nipping). She is a retriever and they are very orally focussed. I want her to retrieve happily and give things up willingly. I don't feel it is necessary take my hands away from her, as long as she is gentle - I want her to think my hands give nothing but pleasure. The important thing is not to let things get out of control and become rough competitive playing. If this happens I yelp like another dog, moving away and ignoring her. If this doesn't work then she is removed and left to quieten down on her own. In a while I am sure she will learn what is appropriate and what is not. I also do not play competitive pulling and tugging games with her, although she can carry round what she wants. I have noticed that already she is becoming a lot gentler with her mouth - she mouths, but is noticeably modifying it, which is what I want from her at the moment.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Interesting. Sadly, Jinty is biting a bit too hard to allow her to do it. I do not play competitively with her, instead we play fetch, which she is really good at, and will drop her toy on command too. Ive tried the yelping thing, which works for a bit, and then she carries on. May try that again though, and move away etc.

Puppies eh!
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
Interesting. Sadly, Jinty is biting a bit too hard to allow her to do it. I do not play competitively with her, instead we play fetch, which she is really good at, and will drop her toy on command too. Ive tried the yelping thing, which works for a bit, and then she carries on. May try that again though, and move away etc.

Puppies eh!
If she does nip a bit too hard then (as I think you have been doing) giving her something else as a diversion may well work better. I forgot to say that when giving a treat or a reward, keep it in your closed hand (licking and shoving at your hand is ok - but no nipping). If she stops and looks at you give her the treat. I am sure she will soon be fine. Puppies are hard work, and it sounds like you are doing a great job with Jinty.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post

Puppies eh!

Have you read this?

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discu...c=64170.0;wap2

http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/te...inhibition.pdf

http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/bi...nfuzzyterm.pdf