Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CandyKooKoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-12-2009, 07:23 AM

Yeast infection

It appears that one of my dogs has a yeast infection, now it is not only one ear, but her coat gets extremely dirty within three days of bathing her and greasy. She also has little red bits (like flea dirt but red) all over her coat within days of removing the lot.

After a small bit of research on the subject it appears that a raw meat and bones diet would help her, but I am not sure about this bearing in mind the hot climate I live in, so any advice would really be appreciated.

I must admit this has not been confirmed as yet because the vet is closed until next week and he did not feel as though it was an emergency especially since her ear has cleared up with me using Thornit's Canker powder.

Any ideas or advice anyone, if you have come across this before?
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-12-2009, 07:46 AM
Poppy (CKCS) used to get frequent ear infections which the vet said was due to yeast infection. I found cutting out things like gravy bones which have yeast in has helped. I just make sure I look at the food label and don't give her anything with yeast. She has had 2 ear infections recently, but the vet gave her a week on antibiotics, with antibiotic drops and ear cleanser, which, touch wood has left her ears spotless.

Some dog foods have yeast listed quite high up on the ingredients, so I would avoid those.
CandyKooKoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Thank you for your reply Harry. She does not have gravy bones - in fact no bones at all and none of her diet has changed in the past five years hence I am unsure why all of a sudden she has developed this.

My concern is we were overwhelmed in the summer with ticks - one day only took over 200 baby ticks off my three dogs and that was only walking them down the road.

Her ear infection is just about cleared but her coat and skin is still a mess.
seaunicorn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Our puppy has a yeast infection allergy and our vet gave us a shampoo called Malaseb, which is anti-fungal and anti-bacterial we had to bathe her very often to begin with but we are down to once a month now, but we have to be careful she does not get a yeast infection as she then has the allergic reaction to it and gets sores and her fur falls out.