Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 02:22 PM

GSDs and agility

Yogi and I are on week 3 of our 8 week introduction to agility course. We are having a lot of fun and I am really pleased with how quickly he is picking it up. I am just as pleased with how calm, sensible and quiet he is when other dogs are having their turn

I would like to know if anyone else trains or competes with a GSD in agility? Do you find that they are fast/accurate enough to compete? Also, are there any specific worries about putting too much strain on hips/elbows/joints etc.

Pics of agility GSDs would be great too. I will get someone to take some of Yogi once we are doing a full course.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 02:59 PM
There's a hairy GSD at our fun club. Her precision is spot on, though she doesn't go very fast..mind you, I'm not sure how old she is, not a youngster that's for sure.

Although ours is only a fun club, I'm pretty sure they do compete, though don't know how they do..I should imagine they get quite a few clear rounds, though would probably have one of the slowest times.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Daisy, being lightly built, is brill at agility but unfortunately I can`t keep up with her. There were a lot of sheps doing agility at Brentwood. One did it with his toy in his mouth because otherwise he barked all the way round and deafened everyone.
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 03:43 PM
In 2006 a GSD named Zinzan broke the 60 pole weave Guinness world record with a time of 12.14 secs.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by TBBS View Post
In 2006 a GSD named Zinzan broke the 60 pole weave Guinness world record with a time of 12.14 secs.
oh blimey - I reckon it takes Stumpy nearly that long to do 12 poles
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Thanks guys. It sounds promising then Yogi is pretty quick, although not as quick as a collie lol! I haven't decided whether we would compete or not yet, it is all just for fun and extra bonding for us at the moment.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Daisy, being lightly built, is brill at agility but unfortunately I can`t keep up with her. There were a lot of sheps doing agility at Brentwood. One did it with his toy in his mouth because otherwise he barked all the way round and deafened everyone.
Any piccies C&D?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 05:26 PM
any excuse for piccies!
jump

barrels

seesaw

tunnel (this was set in a series of curves, which was interesting!)

and high walk (6` off the ground!)
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 05:29 PM

Caider, a 4 year old stunning longcoat has been doing agility for a couple of years now, still grade one but more than enough points to move to grade two, many 2nd places and a 1st but with time faults.
She looks like she is going slow but her stride is so long she is moving pretty fast

Betty, I think she is grade 4 - pretty fast and accurate

Sure the GSD's aint gonna be rocket dogs like some of the collies but they are really good and accurate
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 05:46 PM
My friend Competes with hers, they do quite well i think!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >