Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gadge
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2009, 03:26 PM

how to keep a dogs focus?

I posted a little while ago about some problems we are having with samson at the moment, growling and dominance.(thanks for all the replys!)

We have just started a one on one training course which i think is going to be great for him.

The new problem is that he has the shortest attention span! I cant seem to get him interested in any toys/ food when were out and trying to practise with him.

Whats the best way to get a dog obsessed with a toy? Or what is the best toy for a hound? (RR)
holl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2009, 03:43 PM
We tried all sorts too - toys did not work with our Ridgeback at all. Treat wise cheese is the winner for our boy - we can walk past a row of dogs wafting a piece of cheese under his nose and that's all he's interested in...quite a wiffy cheddar seems to do the trick for us or ham....
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Gadge View Post
I posted a little while ago about some problems we are having with samson at the moment, growling and dominance.(thanks for all the replys!)

We have just started a one on one training course which i think is going to be great for him.

The new problem is that he has the shortest attention span! I cant seem to get him interested in any toys/ food when were out and trying to practise with him.

Whats the best way to get a dog obsessed with a toy? Or what is the best toy for a hound? (RR)
If he is not interested in toys /food, then you need to find something else that floats his boat.

What about YOU does he follow your every move, have you tried a whistle, that may ge this attention..

If one thing fails, you have to find something else...

And if he has a short attention span, you need to work within it....
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2009, 03:46 PM
And there is lies the challenge...finding out what motivates your dog best

Unfortunately (for this purpose) each dog is different - I have three border collies, but each is motivated by different things and even their preferred type of toy is different.

What toys have you tried? - obvious types are:

a ball
a squeeky toy
a tuggy toy
(or combinations of the above - e.g. a ball on a rope).

To use toys as motivation it is best to find the type they like best and then keep it for training only. That way it stays special. You must also make the toy really exciting so the dog wants the toy really badly...effectively teasing him to start with (but the teasing without reward shouldn't be such that the dog switches off or gets too frustrated).

If a squeeky toy (though very annoying for anyone else in a class environment!) you can use the squeek to keep attention. If a ball, throwing it up in the air and catching it etc. And if a rope or tuggy, whirling it round can make it really appealing.

Of course you may stumble on some other thing that will motivate him more than traditional toys. One dogsey member uses a feather duster which the dogs go bonkers for and for Stumpy, I can't beat a water pistol - she loves it so much she won't take her eyes off me.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Tala goes mad for the yard brush. But I just can't figure out how to incorporate this into her training.
Control Unleashed is a good book with lots of ideas for getting your dog to focus. No instant results though, you have to be prepared to work on it.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2009, 04:14 PM
The book " When Pigs Fly - Training success with impossible dogs" by Jane Killion owner and trainer of very focused EBTs goes into motivation for different breeds a lot and explains loads about how to get focus etc.

The key is to be the holder of resources that really floats the dog's individual boat, the keeper of the keys...

Details of the book:

http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=DTB919

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
Tala goes mad for the yard brush. But I just can't figure out how to incorporate this into her training.
Not sure if you use a clicker or clicker word, but you can for example, ask for a few steps of heeling and then click and release for a game with the yard brush

Gradually build it up until you can do lots of steps and a sit, or whatever she will work for to get her big reward..

Wys
x
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Not sure if you use a clicker or clicker word, but you can for example, ask for a few steps of heeling and then click and release for a game with the yard brush

Gradually build it up until you can do lots of steps and a sit, or whatever she will work for to get her big reward..

Wys
x
Sounds good and I do use both a clicker and a clicker word cos I do forget to take my clicker out at times.
debzbl4
New Member!
Female 

10-07-2009, 12:00 PM
hi mine will do anything or a small piece of cooked liver she is only 11 weeks old so a few 5 min sessions works well. x