Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2009, 06:49 PM

Poppy back at the vets.

Had to take Poppy back to the vets this evening to re-asses her pad, which was bitten last Sunday,
More antibiotics as it's not healing as quickly as he hoped. Zena's bootie brought a smile from the vet as it is a tad big, I told him all about you guys
After a long gab about spaying I asked him all sorts of questions.
He is of the opinion that it will be wise to spay Poppy before her first season. He was telling me he used to advocate waiting until the first season is over. But after having done lots of reading and research on the subject, found that this makes no difference.
Sooooo, when she goes back next Wed, if her little bits are still little, and she needs her pad stitching he will do it when we book her in.

He said she was still small 'down there' and as she is coming up to 9 months can you believe that It will be easier and less of a trauma for her.
He assures me that it will not affect her develpment one iota. The risk of incontinence is very small indeed.
So looks like I will be the one worrying and stressing very soon.

Elaine xx
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2009, 06:54 PM
There is a lot of debate on the spaying before/after first season thing..

I have had one of each.. Selkie before first season, Kismet after.. Of the two. I would go before next time! Selkie had no complications that can be directly attributed to the spay... (She is arthritic now which has been a side effect attributed, but is also rife in her breed, so could be either cause).. And having a hormonal tetchy in season Kismet in the house and now dealing with the fading of those crazy hormones added to the much more stressful surgery that she went through.. Next time I would spay early for sure!

Hope everything is sorted soon
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
There is a lot of debate on the spaying before/after first season thing..

I have had one of each.. Selkie before first season, Kismet after.. Of the two. I would go before next time! Selkie had no complications that can be directly attributed to the spay... (She is arthritic now which has been a side effect attributed, but is also rife in her breed, so could be either cause).. And having a hormonal tetchy in season Kismet in the house and now dealing with the fading of those crazy hormones added to the much more stressful surgery that she went through.. Next time I would spay early for sure!

Hope everything is sorted soon
Thanks Taz, I am getting all nervous for her....she has never ever been away from me never, unless I go to the shops and then she's with Ben.
Oh dear poor Poppy she will feel abandoned
Elaine xxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2009, 07:27 PM
OH dear, you're going to have a very stressful time then when the spey is due, so hopefully we'll all be here for you just as you have been for a lot of us!!! xxxx

Sorry to hear the pad hasn't healed as well as expected, but from what I know about pads, sometimes they can be begger's to heal unless you fit her in a straightjacket or crate her for weeks, coz they're constantly opening it up by even standing on it aren't they All the best with it Elaine, and I'll be here for you when the time comes to take her for that spey, and if you're really lucky, I'll get us a nice chinese for whilst she's in there!!!! xxxxxx
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Poor girl, paws are a b****r to heal.

As for her spay, dont let it play on your mind just yet. It is always worse for us sitting at home worrying.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Awww...bless her. Hope her pad gets better soon. As for the spey, Cassie was done before her first season and was absolutely fine. She went in first thing and was back home mid afternoon. It was a chore trying to keep her quiet but other than that, no problems whatsoever. Hope that settles your mind a bit. xx
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
OH dear, you're going to have a very stressful time then when the spey is due, so hopefully we'll all be here for you just as you have been for a lot of us!!! xxxx

Sorry to hear the pad hasn't healed as well as expected, but from what I know about pads, sometimes they can be begger's to heal unless you fit her in a straightjacket or crate her for weeks, coz they're constantly opening it up by even standing on it aren't they All the best with it Elaine, and I'll be here for you when the time comes to take her for that spey, and if you're really lucky, I'll get us a nice chinese for whilst she's in there!!!! xxxxxx
Thanks Helena,
I am getting a nervous tum just thinking about it That's just what the vet said about the pad and the place it's in. Have to say the bootie has been a God-send, all be it a bit big, but we wrap a big bandage round her foot first then it fits snug. mind you she looks like she has a club foot

I know you and others will be there for me. I now know how you all felt but you lot have been through it so that helps.
Ooooh yea a nice Chinese mmmmmmn? now what shall I have?
Elaine xxxxxx
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
Poor girl, paws are a b****r to heal.

As for her spay, dont let it play on your mind just yet. It is always worse for us sitting at home worrying.
Thanks Lorna, it doesn't seem to bother her, Bruce, the vet had a good poke around and said although it was nice and clean, mud wise, thanks to Zena's boot there was still a bit of infection. I didn't know that pads were difficult to heal. I am sooooo glad I took her to the vet!
I will try and not worry, but it's just the thought of leaving her there, she's never been away from me before.
Elaine xxxxx
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
Awww...bless her. Hope her pad gets better soon. As for the spey, Cassie was done before her first season and was absolutely fine. She went in first thing and was back home mid afternoon. It was a chore trying to keep her quiet but other than that, no problems whatsoever. Hope that settles your mind a bit. xx
Thanks Jackie
I know it's not a big thing coz I have read all the threads here about people having their dogs speyed. But when it comes down to your own, it's a different kettle of fish isn't it. Ben was neutered before we got him so never went through that with him... I did with my Jake and that was so stressful, he had complications, the ball sac swelled up, but he was fine in a few days.
Oh dear more stress. Although I will try and do as you all say and not think about it until the day comes.
Elaine xxx
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Thanks Jackie
I know it's not a big thing coz I have read all the threads here about people having their dogs speyed. But when it comes down to your own, it's a different kettle of fish isn't it. Ben was neutered before we got him so never went through that with him... I did with my Jake and that was so stressful, he had complications, the ball sac swelled up, but he was fine in a few days.
Oh dear more stress. Although I will try and do as you all say and not think about it until the day comes.
Elaine xxx

I know how you feel hun. John took Cassie for hers as I was at work and I was a basket case all day. Of course you worry, that's only natural.xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >