Our sister sites
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
The Border Collie is king at most things

Snorri
Collies do seem to be king of the obedience ring but the shepherds have my heart.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 08:17 AM
I think with Collies, it is a precision thing and a desire to please.
Flat Coats could easily do all the obedience stuff...but they would lose points I'm sure as they wouldn't look quite so 'tidy'....their tails wag at such an incredible rate they would lose their precision I think....
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 08:31 AM
I love to see the dog's tail wagging as it goes round the ring. Just shows what enjoyment a lot of dogs get out of obedience training.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
I love to see the dog's tail wagging as it goes round the ring. Just shows what enjoyment a lot of dogs get out of obedience training.
Me too....but there is a gentle collie'GSD wag...and then there is a full on full body Flat Coat wag.... It knocks my boy sideways when he starts!
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Me too....but there is a gentle collie'GSD wag...and then there is a full on full body Flat Coat wag.... It knocks my boy sideways when he starts!
Well your boy always puts his whole heart into everything, whether it be heelwork or muddy puddles!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
Well your boy always puts his whole heart into everything, whether it be heelwork or muddy puddles!
He would love to do the obedience work I think but he would be all over the place...
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I think with Collies, it is a precision thing and a desire to please.
Flat Coats could easily do all the obedience stuff...but they would lose points I'm sure as they wouldn't look quite so 'tidy'....their tails wag at such an incredible rate they would lose their precision I think....

Flatties actually do really really well, they are really stylish. Must judges WANT to see wagging tails!!!!!

There has been one in ticket last year & she was incredible!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 08:56 AM
I read a very interesting discussion once which debated the effects of the `head twisted into the handlers crotch` position used in Obedience heelwork. Apparently the bigger and the less flexible dogs were adversely affected, with muscle strains and unequal development, physically.
I suppose it depends how long the dog is trained for as far as the physical effects go, but I can see that some dogs (Newfies, OES etc.) would simply not be able to curl round the leg like this.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 09:00 AM
They arent meant to curl around the leg!!!!! Thats a fault & collies WILL get marked for it. A chap called Steve Wilson worked Newfies, they were brilliant got up to A & B i think. & thre are TONS of OES working very successfully at the moment up to open C (non in ticket currently)
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 09:03 AM
To add the keeness & obsessiveness of the collie creates its own faults in obedience aswell as positives, they arent a easy choice that people think they are.

Often other breeds end up with more "correct" HW just have trouble with the other exercises.
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >