Our sister sites
Our sister sites
van
New Member!
Female 

02-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Hi
I have been training my Cavalier for Agility for aprox 7 months
and he really loves it. His first show will be in August this year, so we do not know how we will be but he loves the training so fingers crossed???????
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 07:33 PM
oh well done you! shelties are made for agility!!!!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by stunt monkey View Post
we have taken our new dog stan to training classes and they have some agility equipment ,we took him over the jumps through the tunnel over the a-frame and tonight he jumped through the tyre we have only had him 2 weeks ,we got him from a rescue centre he is 11 months old ,we havent pushed him to do any of these things but he likes to follow the other dogs ,the instuctor(a retired police dog handler)said he reckons we stole him from the circus.

I`m a bit concerned but hopefully you can give reassurance - at eleven months he should not be doing agility other than poles on the ground, flat tunnel, and dogwalk planks on the ground, tyre only if its lowered enough to be stepped through without actually jumping, no take-off jumping, no normal height contacts, and absolutely no weaving - if the instructor is allowing more than what`s recommended for underage dogs, well, lets just say it`s a big no no as far as ethical and responsible instructors are concerned. He shouldnt be able to just copy other dogs, only one dog at a time should be on the equipment unless [ for instance ], a display team working on safe and carefully planned elements with very experienced dogs.

Hopefully I just have the wrong end of the stick from your post as to what extent your pup has been allowed to do agility ?
stunt monkey
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-05-2009, 05:19 PM
i say agility but it is really just a few things that the instructor has.there is no weaving and the jumps are so small that the tiny dogs can do them,its funny but zara our 7 month old coonhound wont jump at all at training but has cleared a 5ft fence at home(we know have a 7ft fence).
the instructor was a metropolitan police dog trainer for 30yrs and uses the same techniques and equipment just scaled down apart from taking down a suspect phew.
just curious what age should you start dogs doing agility ?
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Dilkara, so pleased Ludo enjoyed it, sounds like you have really good sensible instruction there, but piccies are a must

I have seen so many Shelties in agility who are as you say quite shy/reserved but once they get in the ring they can really blossom, their confidence comes to the fore and they can really fly round courses usually grinning all the way, keep enjoying it and well done for taking the plunge for Ludo
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by stunt monkey View Post
i say agility but it is really just a few things that the instructor has.there is no weaving and the jumps are so small that the tiny dogs can do them,its funny but zara our 7 month old coonhound wont jump at all at training but has cleared a 5ft fence at home(we know have a 7ft fence).
the instructor was a metropolitan police dog trainer for 30yrs and uses the same techniques and equipment just scaled down apart from taking down a suspect phew.
just curious what age should you start dogs doing agility ?

The minimum age at reputable clubs is 12 months, large breeds and mixes sometimes a bit older and even then doing very very gradual increase in heights, turns, levels of exertion etc.

I often have people proudly tell me how high their youngster can jump but a] they should be stopping them or they risk serious health problems later on and b] it must be remembered that agility would be extra physical activity to what a youngster should be doing just being a pup.

I don`t want to take over or mess up Dilkara`s thread so I`ll stop there but please do post a new thread if you have questions, many of us here are very experienced in agility, [ including instructing and judging ], and would be more than happy to give guidance on do`s and dont`s and importantly what to look for - and the sort to avoid at high speed - in terms of good and bad instruction
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2