Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Willow
Excellent Thanks Kickstart

PS My old kelpie sounds a LOT like your old girl I say old but she's 17.5 now, my girl is black (and grey) though and not a red cloud like yours are.

Hiya Willow, My old girl is 8 so isn't really that old but is compared to our others that are all two or under!

She's black as well (with a few grey bits ) any chance of a photie of your girl? and obviously name etc?

Heres Spring -

Take care
H xxx
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK
I use my toys differently from clicker trainers & to add a clicker then the toy as a reward wouldn't be appropriate. Think you missed the fact I do not use a lead for heelwork I use the toy as the lure

Each to their own Clickers have been around for years & years in animal training just not my thing especially as you cannot use them in sheepdog training out on the hills

You do "herding" with your dogs not traditional sheepdog trialling then ?
crossed wires there Joedee - no offence was meant. I find a clicker a valuable tool but don't use it in all aspects of my dogs training, I also don't use a leader for heelwork, and did actually say that - so don't know where that came from

I say herding rather than trialling as I don't compete with my dogs, we herd as a hobby and because I find it an incredible thrill to work them at what they were bred for as well as other things. I don't presume to know a huge amount about trialling as it's never hugely interested me as a sport, but from what i've been told kelpies aren't allowed to compete under the ISDS rules?

That said i've been told Ziggie has huge skill in the area and seems to manage most situation with livestock without a second thought, and when we're training agility if the sheep are moved into the field next door (towards the end of the evening) it's a great test of obedience and concentration on the contacts and weaves but i'm very chuffed to say he manages to finish the exercise 99% of the time, which is more than some of the sheepdog trialling dogs for us we've had to find a balance between all of the different activities we enjoy and it works for us

Again no offence meant

H xxx
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2006, 08:03 PM
I say herding rather than trialling as I don't compete with my dogs, we herd as a hobby and because I find it an incredible thrill to work them at what they were bred for as well as other things. I don't presume to know a huge amount about trialling as it's never hugely interested me as a sport, but from what i've been told kelpies aren't allowed to compete under the ISDS rules?
They couldn't qualify for the Nationals but they could run at the informal trials

The ISDS mnissed the boat as when Kelpies were first brought into the UK they turned down the chance of including them in their register. I think they thought they would all be the show version like the BC's

Had a new owner at our dog club on Wednesady say in my hearing about my smooth BC pupy-"that's a Kelpie I saw lots of them in Australia" Rjj my puppy is Black & white with semi erect ears BTW
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2006, 10:26 PM
lol - it's surprising how many people are starting to "recognise" kelpies now - my friend has a smooth coat black collie and was "informed" by a person with a kelpie that he was one they got quite uppity when she insisted he wasn't as well... the thing that got me was he looks nothing like one!!!! Still takes all sorts
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2