View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2005, 07:31 PM

Any tips on teaching the Send Out please?

Ok, we're going to confess something here. Tams send out is terrible.

Ideally I would always send him out to something thats called a "voran-stand" here. A small, round, flat piece of plastic on a metal stick. This will disappear to the dog (hopefully), and will incourage him to keep his head up. But the problem is I don't have one at home, and hence we can only practice it every 2-3 weeks or less. So he is really behind in this exercise. We'll probably be getting a Voran-stand in a bit anyway.

So we started trainng at home, with me sending him away to a towel. BUT, the problem is he'll either go out and then start tracking for the towel, or he'll go out and if the towel isn't there he'll come back to me.

And he has always hated working away from me anyway, so thats not a help. But when we start agility he'll need to learn.

So, do some of you have any tips for teaching the send out while I don't have a voran-stand? We won't be needing the send away it till BH2, and anyway we've not even competed in BH1 yet. But still it'd be nice.

Kate
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2005, 07:50 PM
dont think i can help u there.... i have only been able to achieve the send away to a mat
so is the idea of a sendaway to get the dog obeying commands from a distance without comin back to u first?
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2005, 08:02 PM
why dont you make your own vorun stand . id make one for you but i cant find any pics .. to bulid one from
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-07-2005, 09:50 PM
We teach the send away by starting with food on the target. Handler leaves dog in a wait, goes out and places a small treat on the spot. Dog is quite close to the target at this stage. Handler comes back, sends dog. Dog gets the treat and handler immediately commands 'sit' or 'drop'. Handler goes up to dog & rewards the sit/drop with an even better treat. Dog learns that if she runs out briskly and sits/drops at the target she gets a super reward. Dog is rewarded every time until she is solid, then rewards are random. Distance from the target is gradually increased.

Don't know if that is of any help for your discipline?
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Deefin, my father won't let me touch his precious tools otherwise I would.

And Jenny, in a way it is to be able to command the dog at a distance. Its also a test if the dog can work at distance. In BH2 (the first you see the send out) its only 20 meters with sit/down/stand on recall, and another time 20 meters out and return over a jump. BH3 is much harder, the dog is sent out 20 meters and told to stand, then again the dog is sent out from a stand for another 20 meters. Once at 20 meters the dog is told once again to stand, and is then told to run either left/right parallel to the handler for minimum 5 meters, then told again to stand and is recalled over a jump. So it gets harder.

SB that a good way, only with us we have to have the dog moving out basically until we tell him what to do. there is no target But that has given me an idea so I'll try that.

If it was Obedience (we're training for that as well ) it'd be no problem, as in that casse we only have to send the dog into a 2X2 meter box marked out by traffic cones. Now that one he does perfectly!! Probably because he knows what to do there as I was able to train him without the voranstand.

Thanks everyone!
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2005, 04:41 PM
If you think it may help I can tell you how we train the send out?
Let me know if you want it ok (you know where I am )