Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by loupoppins View Post
Yes, we use a long lead out and about, and at training he is mostly on lead. We were doing recall though and had to put dog in a stay (fine) then move away a few paces (the puppy enclosure bit is small) and then recall the dog. So...he was really good at the "stay" He didn't budge at all until I called him.Then sadly instead of returning to me he turned round and saw another collie so just stood there barking at it - completely not interested in me!! He didnt exactly run off...he just wouldn't recall IYWIM!! Little so and so!!

Oh dear! They do like to embarrass us at training! Lol
Jesss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Do they get much chance to play before 'class' we have to be ther 15 mins before at least so the dogs can have a fuss and play with each other (thats not to say they dont still run to each other given another chance! But it its a start!)
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2013, 08:38 PM
When I started foundation agility with Lucy, I also started using a clicker which I had never done before. She is very focused on food so knowing the clicker meant food, it really helped. She will play tug at home but not the least bit interested in it at class.

I was having trouble getting her to run the channel for teaching weaves but finally made a treat bag and once I got her convinced that it had treats in it and that was the only place, I could throw it and she would tear through the channel after it. Have gradually been closing the weaves up a little but she is only just a year old so not in a hurry.
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by Jesss View Post
Do they get much chance to play before 'class' we have to be ther 15 mins before at least so the dogs can have a fuss and play with each other (thats not to say they dont still run to each other given another chance! But it its a start!)
Thinking about this I have realised there were a number of things this week which may have not helped. The weather was bad and I was waiting on an email to check it was still on, which meant I was then more rushed preparing to leave. Then when we got there we were the only ones there to start with, so we started the class with just us. This made me a bit nervous which Flynn probably picked up on!! Anyway 2 others arrived after 5 mins and joined the class, but Flynn didn't get his usual 10 mins to just play and hang out with them before class...
Plus he is definitely quite excited by the snow..
so fingers crossed this Saturday will be better....
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by Kyllobernese View Post
When I started foundation agility with Lucy, I also started using a clicker which I had never done before. She is very focused on food so knowing the clicker meant food, it really helped. She will play tug at home but not the least bit interested in it at class.

I was having trouble getting her to run the channel for teaching weaves but finally made a treat bag and once I got her convinced that it had treats in it and that was the only place, I could throw it and she would tear through the channel after it. Have gradually been closing the weaves up a little but she is only just a year old so not in a hurry.
Lucy looks like shes having fun in your avi pic!!
I have a little tiny tub with a few treats in which I may use .... he does seem to get the idea of running to the tub to get a treat....
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by loupoppins View Post

Anyway, today was a disaster!!he just would not seem to focus on me at all. Admittedly the snow on the ground was an added distraction, but he was just so totally focused on trying to play with the other dogs. He had NO interest in his toy and only minimal motivation to work for treats (chopped cooked chicken in little pieces) recalls were hopeless as he would just wander off to play with his best pal Alfie!!

so ...I suppose I have a couple of questions...firstly can anyone talk to me more about the use of treats/toys as rewards/motivators for agility training ? What should I use and how should I use it? Anyone recommend me a toy that I can get Flynn really interested in?? Or do some people use mostly treats?
I take it you start with a very hungry dog???? Not one who's just had breakfast?
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Salami or tinned hot dogs, binged for 10 seconds in the microwave just to slighlty warm and release all those yummy smells
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
I take it you start with a very hungry dog???? Not one who's just had breakfast?
Yep, definitely hungry. No breakfast on Saturdays!
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
Salami or tinned hot dogs, binged for 10 seconds in the microwave just to slighlty warm and release all those yummy smells
Good idea! I have also oven dried some liver. Will go shopping tomorrow for more nits. The kids are complaining that Flynn is getting more toys and better food than them at the moment.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Perhaps you need to be more discerning in when you aks for his attention... Don't ask for it when he is too interested in other things around him, but just as he is about to lose interest and look at you anyway... for a start. After all classes are very exciting, noisy, smelly, not like your home where everything is familiar.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >