Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Suefergie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2013, 06:18 PM

Picking on my dog

My dog is a year old but every time I take him for a walk other dogs go for him, I really don't know why this is, he is very friendly and yes still quite excitable. He seems to meet ok but when the playing starts they all go for him even dogs whose owners say their dogs very rarely or never go for others! Can anyone help me please?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Could be any number of reasons, one we have experienced is when our Mollie was younger her collie side would come out and she had the collie stare which set other dogs off a lot. We realised and have taken steps to make that less of a problem.

Also some dogs play too rough which can also upset others.

I am sure others will be able to suggest some other things but those are two we have experienced.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2013, 10:49 PM
My previous Lab mix was an arrogant dog and one of the "alpha" type dogs. Other dogs would come up to him a lot, too.

I saw him looking at other dogs sometimes... a fixated stare... which as Julie said, was setting a few of them off. He rarely went up to them or if on lead, snatched at them.. but he would stare, and hold his tail up etc.

This caused male dogs to challenge him, and female dogs to desire him sometimes... which isn't always good.

Or... maybe your dog is just cute
Suefergie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2013, 11:38 PM
I don't think the look thing applies to my dog as he is often in front when the dogs seem to turn on him. The initial meeting always seems to be ok it's when play begins. He runs off and then they turn on him. I really have looked for a trigger but don't see any. Could it be that he needs castrating
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2013, 11:44 PM
Hey Sue,
WELCOME TO DOGSEY
Could just be the fact that as you say he runs off,maybe they see that as a sign of weakness.Also I noticed on another thread your dog suffers from allergys. I don't know if there's a smell associated with his type of reaction but its not unknown for a dog to attack another because of a scent they dislike.Not sure if that's a possibility in this case.
Suefergie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2013, 11:53 PM
That could be the case I will have a look online and see if there is a smell linked with allergies. Thanks
Hiker
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-10-2013, 12:20 AM
Hi Sue, you mentioned he's excitable, maybe that's all it is.
Older dogs that have calmed down have little tolerance for younger "wired" dogs.
Especially if there's a few dogs running around they'll all maintain a certain level of excitement, if another dog arrives on the scene on a higher level, they'll reprimand them.

How severe are these attacks? Are they just warning him off?
He's still very young, and maybe just lacks the experience how to control himself around others.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2013, 12:58 AM
Ah, if the dog jets off immediately instead of having a good sniff... maybe that incites the chase.

Dogs like to get a nice sniff of their playmates before playing and if he runs off too fast.. they may not be sure he's not foe, yet.

Also, despite people saying the pack theory is complete crap... in a group of dogs, there is usually one that is the leader and the other dogs may challenge said dog. My last dog had this "leader" mentality and every dog he met knew it.

Due to the fact that you have not stopped bringing your dog around these places, these "attacks" must not be severe at all. Likely a bit of growling, or maybe simply too rough of play.

My dogs hate each other, and do fine when they are able to ignore each other... but if and when they play... it quickly turns sour and overly aggressive.

If one runs from the aggressor, the aggressor always chases, and is MORE aggressive when he finally catches up. Might be happening with your dog. If he'd stand his ground a bit better... maybe the other dogs would stop picking on him?

Maybe try a lead when he's around other dogs. Let them sniff nice and deep but he can't run or overly agitate the other dogs. That might help?? Lol... idk.
Suefergie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-10-2013, 01:56 AM
I have stopped taking him to a lot of places I avoid places where I know there are lots of dogs. It happens on and of the lead and even dogs that are on the other side of the road will growl and bark at him. Very rarley does another dog play with him young or old!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2013, 03:12 AM
Originally Posted by Suefergie View Post
I have stopped taking him to a lot of places I avoid places where I know there are lots of dogs. It happens on and of the lead and even dogs that are on the other side of the road will growl and bark at him. Very rarley does another dog play with him young or old!
I see. Well, well... you have a dilemma, indeed! He seems like my previous dog... who had a sophisticated, and extremely cocky/arrogant "air" about him.

With his tail always high and always using eye contact and "I'm the boss" doggy body language. All dogs recognized it... but not all liked it.

He'd only truly "play" with females, anything with males was either an overly rough tussle for "big dog" or a vicious fight. He was also intact, which of course didn't help matters.

Something about your dog sets other dogs off... or you live in an area where everyone's dog is un-socialized and snippy. My issue was both! At least your dog doesn't turn unfriendly dogs into mincemeat...

After a horribly bloody and nearly dismembering fight (excuse my gore) between my dog and another's dog... I began avoiding places with lots of dogs, too. Did this for the rest of his life, so unfortunately... I cannot be of much help

But maybe someone else will come along....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >